[comp.sys.apple] ORCA Desktop

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn ) (11/24/88)

I would appreciate it if anyone who has gotten the ORCA Desktop to work
with APW C and assembler would tell me how to do it.  I tried using the
ORCA mini-shell, SYSTABS, and SYSCMND (edited to include APW C), and
when that didn't work I tried substituting parts of APW, which also
didn't work.  Basically I can get the windows open etc. but when I try
to compile there are a couple of msyterious error messages (the dialog
box displays nonsense).  I have a similar problem with the sample code
using either C or assembly versions, although with one of them the
error message is complete gobbledegook and with the other it is sane
but incomprehensible (all digits, as I recall).  I never was able to
get the sample program to run with output to the graphics window.

I'm using GS/OS and the latest APW and APW C.  I don't have the full
ORCA shell, ORCA/M, or Pascal.

Help!

jockc@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Jock Cooper) (11/26/88)

In article <8975@smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn ) writes:
>I would appreciate it if anyone who has gotten the ORCA Desktop to work
>with APW C and assembler would tell me how to do it.  I tried using the
>ORCA mini-shell, SYSTABS, and SYSCMND (edited to include APW C), and
>when that didn't work I tried substituting parts of APW, which also
> ... etc

Perhaps you must set the path defaults?  I remember seeing a message like
"Language not available" when the language I was trying to use _was_ there.
Under the compile menu (the one with options like "Compile to Disk", "Compile
to memory" etc) at the bottom of the menu there are options that look like
"Link..." "Compile..." etc... selecting these menu items will give you a
dialog wherein it is necessary to specify the location of your compilers and
such.  (It apparently disregards the prefixes which are already set)...
After typing in the pathname (/hd/languages and /hd/libraries or whatever)
for the compiler and the libraries you should be in business.. Of course it
could be something else going wrong...(BTW: after specifying the paths, hit
the "set defaults" button to make them permanent.)

hope this helps,
Jock

ihnp4!killer!jockc