[comp.sys.apple] Imagewriter Problem

SJDMK@UNO.BITNET (11/12/86)

I'm having trouble with my Imagewriter!!!

As I'm printing something, every few lines it seems like the paper
advancer gets stuck.

It makes a "grinding" noise and the paper didn't advance. It continues
printing after this but the printout is then screwed up.

I've found tonight that if I keep pressure on the manual paper-advance
knob (on the right hand side) in the up-paper direction, the problem
goes away (for the most part).

Any ideas or suggestions?

                           Steven J. Dawson
                           BITnet: SJDMK@UNO

mdavis@pro-sol.UUCP (Morgan Davis) (11/13/86)

> As I'm printing something, every few lines it seems like the paper
> advancer gets stuck.

1.  Make sure the tractor/friction switch is set correctly for the kind of
    paper you're using.

2.  Make sure that a sticky mailing label hasn't come off and is stuck
    behind the platen.  It's a hassle to free one loose, so I hope this
    isn't the case.

If it's not one of the above, I'd have it looked at.

UUCP: [ akgua, hplabs!hp-sdd, sdcsvax, noscvax ] !crash!pnet01!pro-sol!mdavis
ARPA: crash!pnet01!pro-sol!mdavis@nosc

ACTS5%VAXSWD%rca.com@RELAY.CS.NET (11/13/86)

disclaimer: this is not a reply to imagewriter problem...

dear sirs,

  I am an unrepentent Apple ][ + owner.  I have the 1981 version of
AppleWriter ][.  Recently I bought the Veiwmaster 80 card induced by
their claim of being AppleWriter ][ compatable.  When it didn't work
with the word processer I called them up and they said that there was
a public domain pre-boot disk (AW-000) to fix this problem.  Upon calling
my local user group they said that they didn't have it and to get a ][ e!
Byte-Ex sells the disk for 25.00 $ but I think that this is a heavy price
to pay to get the Viewmaster 80 to work with the Applewriter ][.
  Does anyone have any suggestions? (besides getting a ][ e)

PS. I believe that a program that can't be done on 64K should't
be done in the first place.

4096 colors won't show up on my black and white TV

If I want to listen to Jazz music in the background while I work on
my computer, I would use my tape recorder

My computer works pretty fast by MY standards...

             so whats the big deal about the ][ GS over the ][ + ?

                         Craig Roll

kamath@reed.UUCP (Sean Kamath) (11/15/86)

In article <8611121209.AA18707@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> SJDMK@UNO.BITNET writes:
>I'm having trouble with my Imagewriter!!!
>
>As I'm printing something, every few lines it seems like the paper
>advancer gets stuck.
>
>It makes a "grinding" noise and the paper didn't advance. It continues
>printing after this but the printout is then screwed up.
>
>I've found tonight that if I keep pressure on the manual paper-advance
>knob (on the right hand side) in the up-paper direction, the problem
>goes away (for the most part).
>
>Any ideas or suggestions?
>
>                           Steven J. Dawson
>                           BITnet: SJDMK@UNO

Well, you don't say wehter it's a IW1 or IW2, but I know there are
problems with both.  I know that the IW2 is currently having problems
with it's paper feed, the cure to which is to remove the rear cover.
Then just watch out for refeeding of paper.  Something similar happenned
with the IW1 I think.

Sean Kamath

UUCP:            {masscomp, decvax, allegra, psu-cs, ucbcad, ucbvax,
                  purdue, hplabs, hp-pcd, sequent, uw-beaver, ihnp4,
                  cbosgd, gatech, nsc-pdc}!tektronix!reed!kamath
CSNET:           reed!kamath@Tektronix.CSNET
BITNET:          reed!kamath@Berkeley.BITNET
ARPA:            tektronix!reed!kamath@Berkeley
	         reed!kamath@hplabs
DECNET:          RHEA::DECWRL::"decvax!tektronix!reed!kamath"

US Snail:  Box 395 Reed College,
           Portland, OR  97202
           (503) 239-7458

These are not the fastest or best paths, just the easiest to use.
I hope they work. (Most notably the US Snail Service :-)

hyman@ICS.UCI.EDU (Glenn Hyman) (11/21/86)

replace the rollers it is a common problem make sure they also replace the gears

STEIN@UCONNVM.BITNET (01/12/88)

  My Imagewriter II has been having a problem with line feeds lately.
It occasionally does not feed completely, so some lines come out on top
of others and sometimes new pages come out before the top of the next
page.
  Has anyone else had that problem?  Is it possible that it's a software
problem, or must I actually do the unpalatable and contact my dealer?

ARPA:   stein%uconnvm.bitnet@wiscvm.wisc.edu       Alan H. Stein
BITNET: STEIN@UCONNVM                          University of Connecticut
UUCP:   ...ihnp4!psuvax1!UCONNVM.BITNET!STEIN        at Waterbury
CompuServe: 71545,1500  Genie:  ah.stein       Department of Mathematics

lwv@n8emr.UUCP (Larry W. Virden) (01/14/88)

I am not sure from your terminology, but I THINK that I am having the same
problem that you mention.  My problem is two-fold; the worst is that the tractor
clips either jam or the paper itself jams passing under the roller; this
really screws up my listings.  It happens EVERYTIME I have a listing longer
than 9 pages.

The second perhaps related problem is that I find that I have lines which
sometimes print closer together than they should.  The symptoms are that I might
be printing off a 3-4 page paginated document and I see on page 3 or 4 the
page header printined on the bottom of the previous page.  Sometimes it is
BLANK LINES!!! that appear to be stacking - at least, looking at the printed
pages do not show me any apparent overprinting.  Othertimes, if the previous
page is full I see two or more lines very close together (and there are
not escape sequences being used to change the lines per inch).  Note that my
top of page is thus messed up, since the printer THINKS that it is further
down on the page than it is.  This starts out being about 2 lines worth, but
gets progressively worse until the above mentioned tractor trashing occurs.

I have been told that if I use a heavier weight paper that some of my problem
may go away.

--
Larry W. Virden	 75046,606 (CIS)
674 Falls Place, Reynoldsburg, OH 43068 (614) 864-8817

STEIN@UCONNVM.BITNET (01/15/88)

  I ran into some more paper feeding problems with my Imagewriter II yesterday
and found some minor contributing causes.  It's worth paying attention to the
following small details.
  1)  When there is the slightest resistance to the paper supply when the
printer is feeding it causes a problem.  Try to make sure that the path from
the paper supply to the printer is completely unimpeded.
  2)  The lever that is used to switch between friction and pin feed slips
very easily.  If it is just a little bit out of position, it causes paper
feeding problems.  Sometimes I think that just the force of gravity, over a
period of a few days, moves it enough to clog things up.  So check that lever.

ARPA:   stein%uconnvm.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu       Alan H. Stein

In article <418@n8emr.UUCP> lwv@n8emr.UUCP (Larry W. Virden) writes:
>really screws up my listings.  It happens EVERYTIME I have a listing longer
>than 9 pages.

Sounds to me like you guys have both the friction feed rollers and
the tractors engaged at the same time.  Loosen the rollers (there's
a control lever for this) when using the tractors.

abc@BRL.MIL (Brint Cooper) (11/22/88)

Folks,

	I'm helping a friend diagnose and repair his Imagewriter
printer.  Just when he had diagnosed and fixed a small problem with the
ribbon, the power light flickered, then went out.  The fuse is good, and
there is voltage at the power cord.

	The obvious first question is:  Has anyone seen this before and,
if so, what was it?

	What prompted this mail, however is that there seems to be no
way to remove the plastic cover from the Imagewriter to get to the power
components.  Removing a small cover on the bottom reveals only the
bottom of the PC board.  It's almost as if the plastic cover had been
molded to the printer in manufacturing.  There appear to be no screws,
pins, snaps, or other fastners.

	So the REAL question is:  Does anyone know how to remove the
plastic cover from an Apple Imagewriter?

	You may post answers where you read this or e-amil to me.

	Thanks!

_Brint

8b@cup.portal.com (S Spencer Sun) (11/27/88)

>         So the REAL question is:  Does anyone know how to remove the
> plastic cover from an Apple Imagewriter?

you mean, on the bottom? Or on the top? And if the top, do you mean just
the clear part and not the platinum part?

							-8b@cup.portal.com