[comp.sys.apple] EDITING THE UNIDISK

CS656@OUACCVMB.BITNET (11/19/88)

I am using a //C with a Unidisk 3.5 drive. Does anyone know of a good block
editor for this system? Copy//+ won't touch the Unidisk in Bitcopy or Sector
edit mode. This seems strange, since it's easy enough to type in the code to
access blocks. If I can't find something I'll write a program to do the job.
Let me know if you'd like a copy.
Bob Church CS656@OUACCVMB

ST702174@BROWNVM.BITNET (Dan Bornstein) (11/20/88)

Beagle Brothers makes (made?) a utility disk for ProDOS in general. Although I
forget the name of the disk itself, there is a utility on it called Byte Zap
Pro or something like that. My friend (who has it) says that you can change a
line somewhere in the beginning of the program (it's a machine-BASIC mix; fast
enough) to tell it that the maximum number of blocks on a disk is 1600 rather
than 280. Then you can change the slot number of the drive to 5 (since that's
where the Unidisk it). That should do the trick.

An alternate is the 3.5 package for copyII+. I think it has a 3.5 sector editor
, but I'm not sure.

-dan

ctuel@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Cliff Tuel) (11/20/88)

In article <8811190030.aa22965@SMOKE.BRL.MIL> CS656@OUACCVMB.BITNET writes:
>I am using a //C with a Unidisk 3.5 drive. Does anyone know of a good block
>editor for this system? Copy//+ won't touch the Unidisk in Bitcopy or Sector

Everyone should have a copy of Glen Bredon's collection of disk utilities
called ProSel. It is $40, and available only from the author at

521 State Road
Princeton, NJ  08540

I have heard raves and raves from Tom Weishaar constantly in Open-Apple. I
have nothing to do with either company, of course.

--
                         ___________________________
-------------------------  _ |  .      ___      |   --------------------------

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn ) (11/20/88)

In article <8811191322.aa27640@SMOKE.BRL.MIL> ST702174@BROWNVM.BITNET (Dan Bornstein) writes:
>An alternate is the 3.5 package for copyII+. I think it has a 3.5 sector editor
>, but I'm not sure.

Yes, recent versions certainly do.
Copy II+ is very nice and has had a very nice upgrade policy.
I must have upgraded at least five times by now.

c60c-3aw@web-3e.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden) (11/20/88)

In article <8811190030.aa22965@SMOKE.BRL.MIL> CS656@OUACCVMB.BITNET writes:
>I am using a //C with a Unidisk 3.5 drive. Does anyone know of a good block
>editor for this system? Copy//+ won't touch the Unidisk in Bitcopy or Sector
>edit mode. This seems strange, since it's easy enough to type in the code to
>access blocks. If I can't find something I'll write a program to do the job.
>Let me know if you'd like a copy.

What version of Copy II+ are you using?  I'm assuming you are running the
3.5 drive version... remember that the sector editor and the block editor
are two completely different things.

Apple (I think; it looked very Apple-ish) made a program called
"diskedit.system" or something similar; it did a number of things but searching
for strings was oddly omitted.

Quality Software (?) was rumored to have updated Bag of Tricks to a ProDOS
version.

Glen Bredon's ProSEL has a program called Block Warden.  This would probably
be the best to get; for $40 you get all kinds of stuff.

Beagle Brothers, as previously mentioned, made some sort of block editor.

--
fadden@zen.berkeley.edu [crashed]
c60c-3aw@widow.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden)

STEIN@UCONNVM.BITNET (Alan Stein) (11/22/88)

  Compute!'s Apple Applications Special published a block editor a couple
of year's ago in one of its first issues and sells a disk containing it.
It's called Dr. Disk.  I can't recall precisely which issue it's in.

Alan H. Stein    Department of Mathematics
The University of Connecticut at Waterbury

Internet: stein%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu
BITNET:   STEIN@UCONNVM
UUCP:    {rutgers psuvax1 ucbvax & in Europe mcvax} !UCONNVM.BITNET!STEIN
Compu$erve: 71545,1500       Genie:  ah.stein

rc3h+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Ross Ward Comer) (11/23/88)

Yes, Copy II+ versions 8 and up do have block editing available on the 3.5 inch
disk version.  However, since the IIc requires the Unidisk, and the Unidisk does
not support all the neat copying functions that Central Point likes to use, the
3.5 inch version of Bitcopy won't let IIc owners access any of the Bitcopy
functions (such as block editing).  This is incredibly stupid.  Just because you
can't use the bitcopy features doesn't mean you should be restricted from the
block editing features.  Also, why isn't there a block editing option on the
5.25 inch version?  It's a pain to convert sectors to blocks.

My other gripe about Copy II+ is that the 5.25 inch version does not support
Central Point's memory manager.  This means that those of us with a meg of
memory and only one disk drive (of each type) must swap the disks over 30 times
when doing a bitcopy.  Why?!?!?  I can understand memory constraints for those
without the extra memory, but it would be simple to incorporate a check to see
if there is any extra memory installed, and if so, then load up the memory
manager.

Otherwise, I think Copy II+ is a fantastic program and I highly recommend it.
Having also dealt with their support line (about the above problems), I must
congratulate them on one of the finest support teams available.

On Pro-Byter... It's a fairly useful program.  I've recovered many a trashed
directory with it.  However, it doesn't handle bad blocks gracefully (it just
gives up and won't try getting any info off of them).  Also, does anyone have
the code change to allow it to access all 1600 blocks?  I bought it when it
first came out several years ago and hadn't heard of the fix until now.

Ross Comer

BITNET & Internet:  rc3h@andrew.cmu.edu

fritzw@pro-starbase.UUCP (Fritz Wonnacott) (11/23/88)

Have you tried using Glen Bredon's BLOCK.WARDEN disk editor, a part of the
ProSel package.  I recommend it whole heartedly!

It should work with ANY ProDOS disk device type.

ProSel *SHOULD* be a part of ANYONE's library!!

ProLine: fritzw@pro-starbase [9600/ARQ, 2400/MNP, 1200, 300 bps]
          (716) 689-8137        login: register

ProLine: fritzw@pro-starbase [9600/ARQ, 2400/MNP, 1200, 300 bps]
          (716) 689-8137        login: register

8b@cup.portal.com (S Spencer Sun) (11/27/88)

I thought Copy II Plus 8.x DID support memory expansion. Mine copies 5.25's
in one pass...but then, I don't have (or know what) Memory Manager (is)

							-8b@cup.portal.com