[comp.sys.apple] A Serious Thought About the FUTURE <============================

sk2f+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU ("Seth D. Kadesh") (11/04/88)

     Attending college tends to make one think (at least it's supposed to).  I
was looking at my GS, waiting for GS/OS to boot, thinking about slow computers
and upgrades and rumors.  I thought about the prospect of Apple introducing a
low cost K-12 Macintosh (the Golden Gate project).  If this project pans out,
where does it leave all of the Apple IIx users?  And then I realized something:
Apple is the only computer company that strongly markets computers with two
different processors: the 68000 series, and the 6502 series.  No other company
does this - I.B.M. computers are all in the 8080 family.  Atari and Commodore
are also 68000.  Where does this leave everyone?  Apple has two distinct product
lines, and THEY DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO WITH THEM!!!!!  I have nothing against the
Mac. I just happened to start out with a IIe, and sold it and bought a IIGS
because I thought it was the FUTURE!!!!!  Now Apple wants us to buy a Mac, and
run our IIx software on it??!!!!  Consternation!  Dismay!!  Amazement!!!!!!  The
6502 series is a considerably underdeveloped chip - the 65816 is only limited by
the design Apple implemented in the GS.  I don't know specifics (that's why I'm
in college now).  And then there's the 65832 - and something else (I forget what
its number is) that is a complete computer on the whole chip.  If anyone reads
Open-Apple, you know what I'm talking about.
     I think its comendable that Apple has decided to consolidate their product
line.  This was the inevitable outcome (I think).  I just get upset when I see
the 6502 series going by the wayside.

   - the MAD scientist!
     sk2f+@andrew.cmu.edu

rupp@cod.NOSC.MIL (William L. Rupp) (11/11/88)

In article <IXQE0Qy00WAK80MF0d@andrew.cmu.edu> sk2f+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU ("Seth D. Kadesh") writes:

>     Attending college tends to make one think (at least it's supposed to).
>different processors: the 68000 series, and the 6502 series.  No other company
>does this - I.B.M. computers are all in the 8080 family.  Atari and Commodore
>are also 68000.  Where does this leave everyone?  Apple has two distinct product
>lines, and THEY DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO WITH THEM!!!!  I have nothing against the

First, you are factually wrong on one point.  Commodore and Tandy  both
sell computers using a variety of processors.  Commodore sells the C-64 and
C-128, which use the 6510, and IBM compatibles using Intel chips, in addition
to the 68000-powered Amiga.  Tandy sells Intel powered compatibles as well
as the 6809-based Color Computer.

On the future of the Apple IIGS (the IIe's, I feel won't be upgraded
any more), I hope it does well, and feel that it can.  I don't think it will
ever be the hit the ][ ][+ and //e were, for many reasons.  But it could
thrive for a long while in education and the home market, *IF* enough
GS-specific software arrives in the next year or so.

Still, the Macintosh is where Apple's future lies.  I know a lot of die-hard
Apple ][+ & //e fans don't like this idea, but only 68020 and 68030 powered
micros are going to be able to compete with the OS/2 Model 80's, NeXT's,
and Sun's 5-10 years from now.

Bill

ralphw@ius3.ius.cs.cmu.edu (Ralph Hyre) (11/11/88)

In article <IXQE0Qy00WAK80MF0d@andrew.cmu.edu> sk2f+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU ("Seth D. Kadesh") writes:
>Apple is the only computer company that strongly markets computers with two
>different processors: the 68000 series, and the 6502 series.  No other company
>does this - I.B.M. computers are all in the 8080 family.  Atari and Commodore
>are also 68000.
Untrue, Atari and Commodore still sell 6502-based systems, and Commodore is
in the PClone business.  You could argue that the 68000 machines are more
weakly marketed in either Atari or Commodore's case, though, but I don't want
to start doing that here on info-apple.  I won't even mention the IBM RT
RISC coprocessor stuff.

the c-128 even has CP/M capability, so Commodore supports about 4 processors
these days.
--
					- Ralph W. Hyre, Jr.
Internet: ralphw@ius3.cs.cmu.edu    Phone:(412) CMU-BUGS

hassell@tramp.Colorado.EDU (Christopher Hassell) (11/11/88)

 ("Seth D. Kadesh") writes:
>and upgrades and rumors.  I thought about the prospect of Apple introducing a
>low cost K-12 Macintosh (the Golden Gate project).  If this project pans out,
>where does it leave all of the Apple IIx users?  And then I realized something:

>6502 series is a considerably underdeveloped chip - the 65816 is only limited
>the design Apple implemented in the GS.  I don't know specifics (that's why I'm
>in college now).  And then there's the 65832 - and something else (I forget
>its number is) that is a complete computer on the whole chip.  If anyone reads
>Open-Apple, you know what I'm talking about.

>     I think its comendable that Apple has decided to consolidate their product
>line.  This was the inevitable outcome (I think).  I just get upset when I see
>the 6502 series going by the wayside.

>   - the MAD scientist!

AMEN!!!  I know of people who consider Macintosh to be the company that
puts out its little Apple line.

Questions: is the 65832 good? is anyone developing it?
           is there any stuff on approval/disapproval of this new paradigm
                 of assembly?

Orphans we may become as Apple's head swells further.  I used to be a
radical Apple man but Job's ideas couldn't float so now were stuck with
BIG RED.  Commodore now seems to be the 'new' wild line (they've always
made good hardware but @$@#@# software and storage) but *we* will still
be left.   I think there are too many apple users to abandon economically
but, there may be too many other kinds of users.  I think the Apple ideal
should be extended

(software control of near-everything, near-limitless expandibility,
  decent graphics .. I/O , and general *versitility*)
(a programmer's paradise! <sigh>)

In general the above 'must' fit more into today's speeds/memory/storage
standards and even with new advents (imagine a separate *equal* processor
for o/s stuff and maybe graphics etc..) to break beyond the
current fads. (i.e. bigger programs, MORE Mhz <they love that<,
and HUMUNGOUS o/s's with too much mem/too much time taken away)
^^^debatible^^^^^

I know I may sound like an end-of-the-worlder but these things will put
us in a fix.  Unless Apple acknowledges another line somehow, ours will
become a smaller group (still big though!).  Still big though, and
apple should retain a pioneer spirit and experiment with the Apple II line.

While businessmen shirk at the 'unsoundness' of new possibs a whole new
generation could be built for micros in general, to even outmode the Mac!!!
 (it could forge ahead on connectivity (phone nets) / parallelism etc...)

Things are possible to change but things also can fade away
###### C. H. ######

jm7e+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jeremy G. Mereness) (11/11/88)

I would hope that Apple begins to support the 65832, or atleast faster
65816's. This would bring a better incentive for programmers.

I also feel that the // series is a more comfortable programming environment.
And despite the added features of the 68000 series (8 address registers,
8 data registers, 24bit address space) most programming for it, because of
the Macs implementation, is done using high level compilers whose code is
hardly optimized in the end. // code is generally cleaner and more efficient.

Capt. Albatross
jm7e+@andrew.cmu.edu

steve@pnet51.cts.com (Steve Yelvington) (11/28/88)

sk2f+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU ("Seth D. Kadesh") writes:

>Apple is the only computer company that strongly markets computers with two
>different processors: the 68000 series, and the 6502 series.  No other company
>does this - I.B.M. computers are all in the 8080 family.  Atari and Commodore
>are also 68000.  Where does this leave everyone?  Apple has two distinct product
>lines, and THEY DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO WITH THEM!!!!!  I have nothing against the

Perhaps "strongly" is the key word here, but I must point out that Atari and
Commodore also still have 6502-based computers on the market: the 65XE, XEGS
(game system) and 130XE in Atari's case; the C64 and C128 in Commodore's case.
Neither company has any plans to move those systems up to more powerful but
compatible CPUs, but that's simply a recognition that the 6502 architecture
is no longer in the mainstream. On the other hand, those product lines
continue to be money-makers and (rumors aside) continue to be supported.

Since Thanksgiving, the local computer retailers have been pushing the IIGS
pretty heavily in newspaper advertising. Since there are so many in the
schools, I expect they'll sell quite a few -- but I sure wouldn't shell out
the rather substantial prices they're charging for a machine whose future
strikes me as dismal.

(My ST may have a dismal future too, but it was cheap. ... :-)

UUCP: {rosevax, crash}!orbit!pnet51!steve
ARPA: crash!orbit!pnet51!steve@nosc.mil
INET: steve@pnet51.cts.com
  -----------
  -or-
  stag!thelake!steve@pwcs.StPaul.GOV
  "A member of STdNET -- the ST Developers' Network"

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn ) (11/28/88)

In article <307@orbit.UUCP> steve@pnet51.cts.com (Steve Yelvington) writes:
-sk2f+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU ("Seth D. Kadesh") writes:
->Apple is the only computer company that strongly markets computers with two
->different processors: the 68000 series, and the 6502 series.  No other company
->does this - I.B.M. computers are all in the 8080 family.

Strange that you didn't also respond to the ludicrous claim that all IBM
processors have the same architecture.

jma@beach.cis.ufl.edu (John M. Adams) (11/29/88)

The C128 also has a z80 in it, doesn't it?  So, Commodore actually has
three microprocessors out on the market...
--
Internet: jma@beach.cis.ufl.edu                     | John M. Adams        ///
UUCP: {codas|gatech}!uflorida!beach.cis.ufl.edu!jma |   University        ///

shawn@pnet51.cts.com (Shawn Stanley) (12/01/88)

jma@beach.cis.ufl.edu (John M. Adams) writes:
>The C128 also has a z80 in it, doesn't it?  So, Commodore actually has
>three microprocessors out on the market...

But it's used for CP/M... hehe...

UUCP: {rosevax, crash}!orbit!pnet51!shawn
INET: shawn@pnet51.cts.com