[comp.sys.apple] //e Keyboard Problem

DMG4449@RITVAX.BITNET (11/25/88)

I am having a rather irritating problem with my //e at home.  I decided
to take it apart and clean it with cotton swabs.  I disconnected the
joystick (in the game port), the speaker, and the keyboard cable.  When
I hooked everything back up, everything seemed to be running fine.  Except,
my E key did not function at all.  Built-in diagnostics found no errors
either.  Is this serious?  Do I need the keyboard replaced?!?!?!  Any
suggestions would be appreciated.

Daniel

Daniel M. Greenberg -=- Rochester Institute of Technology '92

US MAIL    : CPU #1026  25 Andrews Memorial Dr.  Rochester, NY  14623
BITNET     : DMG4449@RITVAX
INTERNET   : dmg4449%ritvax.bitnet@CORNELLC.CCS.CORNELL.EDU
UUCP       : {psuvax1,mcvax}!ritvax.bitnet!dmg4449
Compuserve : 71641,1311 | GEnie : D.GREENBERG2 | PHONE : [716] 475-4295

shawn@pnet51.cts.com (Shawn Stanley) (11/30/88)

DMG4449@RITVAX.BITNET writes:
>I am having a rather irritating problem with my //e at home.  I decided
>to take it apart and clean it with cotton swabs.  I disconnected the
>joystick (in the game port), the speaker, and the keyboard cable.  When
>I hooked everything back up, everything seemed to be running fine.  Except,
>my E key did not function at all.  Built-in diagnostics found no errors
>either.  Is this serious?  Do I need the keyboard replaced?!?!?!  Any
>suggestions would be appreciated.

The seriousness of the situation is hard to ascertain without looking at it,
I'm sure.  Network hardware repair is, at best, difficult.  I suggest you
check your connections.  If you find no problems there, take the keyboard out
again and examine the area around your E key and the leads involved, checking
for scratches or breaks.  Or maybe even a piece of cotton stuck up under your
E key... you never know...

UUCP: {rosevax, crash}!orbit!pnet51!shawn
INET: shawn@pnet51.cts.com

kamath@reed.UUCP (Sean Kamath) (12/02/88)

In article <317@orbit.UUCP> shawn@pnet51.cts.com (Shawn Stanley) writes:
>DMG4449@RITVAX.BITNET writes:
>>I am having a rather irritating problem with my //e at home.  ...
>> Except
>>my E key did not function at all.  Built-in diagnostics found no errors
>>either.  Is this serious?  Do I need the keyboard replaced?!?!?!  Any
>>suggestions would be appreciated.
>
>The seriousness of the situation is hard to ascertain without looking at it,
>I'm sure.  Network hardware repair is, at best, difficult.
>
>UUCP: {rosevax, crash}!orbit!pnet51!shawn
>INET: shawn@pnet51.cts.com

Your most probably have a bad keyswitch.  The Apple //e used both long and
short stem Alps keyswitches, where the ][+ used SMK type.  They can run you
about $6.00 from a dealer.  The way to check this is simple.  Whip out your
keyboard, but plug it back in.  THen take a short piece of wire and short
the terminals of the 'E' switch.  If an 'E' magically appears, you need to
replace the switch, or fix it.  I suggest replacing it.  However, I have
succesfully repaired the switches.  It is not easy, but you disassemble the
switch and reseat the thin metal film that acts as contact.  A can of gold
endz or whatever comes in handy, as well as tweezers and needle nose pliers
to remove the switch.

Alternatively, you can solder two wires to the terminals, and when you want
an 'E' just touch them together. . . :-) :-) :-)

There was an article in a mac-magazine recently on how to fix them.  I might
also be able to get a keyswitch for you off a dead keyboard if it's the
right type.

Sean

--
UUCP:  {decvax allegra ucbcad ucbvax hplabs}!tektronix!reed!kamath
CSNET: reed!kamath@Tektronix.CSNET  ||  BITNET: kamath@reed.BITNET

ART100@PSUVM.BITNET ("Andy Tefft 862-6728", 814) (12/03/88)

24 Nov 88 19:09:00 LCL

I had this happen to me, only it wasn't after taking it apart -- it
just decided to stop working (the I key). I took the keycaps apart and
tried cleaning the key but to no avail. Since the key switches are soldered
in rather well, I had no choice other than to take it into a local dealer
and get the key switch replaced. $5 for the key, $10 for labor. This was
after about 2 years I would guess with no other problems. Since that
(it's been about as long) we have had one other key that had that problem
but it was only temporary. It fixed itself.

>I am having a rather irritating problem with my //e at home.  I decided
>to take it apart and clean it with cotton swabs.  I disconnected the
>joystick (in the game port), the speaker, and the keyboard cable.  When
>I hooked everything back up, everything seemed to be running fine.  Except,
>my E key did not function at all.  Built-in diagnostics found no errors

Sounds like a good example of the wisdom of the old phrase "if it ain't
broke, don't fix it."

Probably, I should knock on wood by beating my brow against a nearby tree,
but my Spring 1983 model //e has sat in my somewhat dusty den being heavily
used for 5+ years without much more than occassionally changing boards
in slots (and very little of that).  I DID have to pop the keycaps off
and take a Dust-Buster and a little TV-tuner cleaner to the keyboard
a couple of years ago when the "control" key decided to work on only
every third press or so.  The 1984 model //e in my even dustier office
at the University (is in a cabinet however) shows extensive keyboard
staining (shinier in the middle of the keys where my fingers touch, but
it has had even less (zip, zero, no) maintenance.

My position is that (after 90 days of hard use) when you computer finally
dies, it's gotten so obsolete that it's time to replace (I hope my //e's
will hang-in for Apple's "year of the CPU" (quoting John Sculley referring
to 1989) it.

                                     [The Far Side shall return (I hope)]
Murph Sewall     Sewall@UCONNVM.BITNET
Business School  sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu          [INTERNET]
U of Connecticut {rutgers psuvax1 ucbvax & in Europe - mcvax}
                 !UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL                        [UUCP]

-+- My employer isn't responsible for my mistakes AND vice-versa!

"Close enough for government work" - source unknown (naturally ;-)