[comp.sys.apple] ProDOS question

lm03_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Larry Moss) (12/06/88)

I've been using DOS 3.3 for years on my Franklin Ace 1000.
Since most of the software I've been using runs on DOS 3.3
(including stuff I've written) I never bothered to switch
over to ProDOS.

I do have ProDOS, and have used it for a few things, but
recently I've needed to work with it a lot more.

The problem I have is that for some reason ProDOS will not
boot on my Franklin. It is possible for me to get it running
when I have to, it's just very annoying. Does anyone know
why it does this?

-Larry

c60c-3aw@e260-3d.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden) (12/06/88)

In article <446@ur-cc.UUCP> lm03_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Larry Moss) writes:
>The problem I have is that for some reason ProDOS will not
>boot on my Franklin. It is possible for me to get it running
>when I have to, it's just very annoying. Does anyone know
>why it does this?

Haven't heard this for so long I had almost forgotten about it...  It doesn't
work because Apple Computer decided to have ProDOS check what kind of machine
it was running on.  If it decides it's on a Franklin, it dies.  It's a one or
two byte patch, but I don't have it with me.

--
fadden@zen.berkeley.edu [crashed]
c60c-3aw@widow.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden)

matthew@sunpix.UUCP ( Sun NCAA) (12/06/88)

Using a backup copy of your disk and a disk editor do the following search
and replace.

	FIND			REPLACE
	---------------------------------------
	$AE $B3 $FB		$AE $EA $EA
	$69 $0B $D0 $03		$69 $0B $EA $EA

(Patches are a courteousy of David Dlugiewicz. Captured from the National Apple
echo in early October of this year)

(( I believe the intent of these patches is to diasble ProDOS8' check of the
characters 'APPLE ][' in the monitor rom and force ProDOS8 into believing that
it is on a particular machine [usually an Apple //plus].))

--
Matthew Lee Stier     (919) 469-8300|
Sun Microsystems ---  RTP, NC  27560|          "Wisconsin   Escapee"