[comp.sys.apple] MicroEMACS for the GS

c60c-3aw@widow.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden) (12/01/88)

Last night I stumbled across EMACS for the GS (written as a ProDOS 16 shell
command).  The docs said that it can be distributed freely for non-commercial
purposes.

This raises a couple of questions (setenv FORMAT standard_outline):
1. It is huge.  Program + docs = 180K packed with BLU.  That means about 360K
   after executionered (please don't correct my math if I'm wrong).  There
   had better be a *lot* of interest for this program before it gets flung
   across the net.  I was the 3rd highest poster on the net after I put
   DIcEd up (see news.lists; total over the last two weeks).

2. Some of the people responsible for this program are on the net.  Even if
   people are interested, we should still found out if they want it posted.

3. If all else fails, I could mail it to whoever is maintaining the anonymous
   FTP sites these days, and people could get it that way (or just plain mail
   it to everyone who wants it).

Please, please ** E-MAIL ** comments, suggestions, etc.  No need to clog up
the net with dozens of opinions on this.

I'll take opinions for a while, and then post a summary.  If you want a copy
of the program, let me know and I'll make a list.

--
c60c-3aw@widow.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden)
!ucbvax!widow!c60c-3aw

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn ) (12/02/88)

In article <17588@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> c60c-3aw@widow.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden) writes:
>Last night I stumbled across EMACS for the GS ...

I don't see what your problem is.  Both an executable EMACS and the complete
sources have been made available as freeware on other net services.  I just
finished compiling it from the sources, in fact, which brings up a question:

What is 2/CSHELL supposed to be?  Is it an interface/start-up library for
use with an ORCA shell or some such?  I had to change the LINK references
from 2/CSHELL to 2/START to get the APW C startup module linked in.

c60c-3aw@e260-3c.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden) (12/02/88)

In article <9029@smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn@brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn (VLD/VMB) <gwyn>) writes:
>I don't see what your problem is.

That's because I don't have one. :-)

>                                   Both an executable EMACS and the complete
>sources have been made available as freeware on other net services.  I just
>finished compiling it from the sources, in fact, which brings up a question:

I don't subscribe to other net services.  Perhaps you could be more specific
for the benefit of those who like to pay $6.00/hour or more to download files?
The availability of it is one of the reasons I'm taking an interest poll
*before* I use net resources to distribute it.  I *do* plan to send it to
the archive person (got your letter today...)

>What is 2/CSHELL supposed to be?  Is it an interface/start-up library for
>use with an ORCA shell or some such?  I had to change the LINK references
>from 2/CSHELL to 2/START to get the APW C startup module linked in.

I don't have a hard drive, so compiling it is out of the question.  However,
anybody with a ProDOS 16 shell (ECP, APW, ORCA, etc.) can use the object
code to edit files (it's not just another program editor).

My sizes were a bit conservative... 125K packed for the program + basic docs,
80K more for full documentation (complete with appendices).  This suggests
seven to eight different executionered files (4 or 5 + 3).  Btw, the unpacked
file is 275 prodos blocks (this is a fancy program).

--
c60c-3aw@widow.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden)
...ucbvax!widow!c60c-3aw

mdavis@pro-sol.cts.com (Morgan Davis) (12/10/88)

Doug Gwyn asks:

> What is 2/CSHELL supposed to be?  Is it an interface/start-up library for
> use with an ORCA shell or some such?

Sorry about that.  When I pieced together the source for MicroEMACS from my
hard disk I sent out my copy of the LINK file.  I renamed my 2/START.ROOT to
CSHELL.ROOT because I've written a stripped down version of START.ROOT that I
use when creating standalone IIGS desktop applications.  I use the CSHELL
version when compiling standard C programs that require shell argument passing
and so forth.

The bundled MicroEMACS that I posted to AppleLink makes reference to 2/CSHELL.
But I caught the problem and uploaded a correct version to BIX.  Again, sorry
if this caused any considerable grief.

--Morgan Davis

UUCP: crash!pnet01!pro-sol!mdavis		ProLine:  mdavis@pro-sol
ARPA: crash!pnet01!pro-sol!mdavis@nosc.mil	MCI Mail: 137-6036
INET: mdavis@pro-sol.cts.com			APE, BIX: mdavis

jib@prism.TMC.COM (12/15/88)

RE: Micro Emacs

I know that Microemacs was designed to run with a shell like APW, but can
it be used from a command line shell like Dave Lyons DAVEX?

Thanks for the information.

Jim Block		jib@prism.TMC.COM
{mit-eddie, pyramid, harvard!wjh12, xait, datacube}!mirror!prism!jib

Matthew Bender Inc, 11 Penn Plaza, NY, NY 10001 (212) 216-8018