[comp.sys.apple] GS Finder, /RAM5, etc.

>Date:         Tue, 29 Nov 88 17:05:08 GMT
>From:         Doug Mcintyre
>              <cwjcc!hal!nic.MR.NET!shamash!com50!bungia!orbit!pnet51!dougm
>              @TUT.CIS.OHIO-STAT>
>Subject:      Gs Ram card

>[...]  There is one Caveat though, the Finder (latest version) has a
>bug in copying files to the Ram disk (this is probably where your
>errors come from) and that the finder will not be able to copy it.

As far as I know, _all_ versions of the Finder behave this way.

>I figure the finder just takes the memory and overwrites the memory
>that the ram disk is going to be using.

Not exactly--the Finder does ask for the memory through the memory
manager just like it should.  But if you're copying a lot of stuff
at once, the Finder can ask for almost _all_ the available memory.
If it does that, fills it full of files, and then tries to write all
the stuff out to /RAM5, there will be a problem if you have a
variable-sized /RAM5 (min < max).  If /RAM5 needs to grow by
allocating more memory from the memory manager, the needed memory
may not be available.  If that happens, a write-block request to
/RAM5 reports an I/O error back to the OS, the OS reports the I/O
error back to the Finder, and the Finder reports the error to you.

It would be nice if the Finder would recognize the situation where it
is copying data to a variable-sized /RAM5 and use only HALF of the
available memory for buffer space.

>But if you use standard Prodos/gsos calls (such as from a shell like
>APW or ECP) the ram disk operation is just fine, I compile to the ram
>disk all the time, and operate on files on the ram disk all the time
>in APW or ECP..

The Finder _does_ use exactly the same standard ProDOS|GS/OS calls
that APW and ECP use; only the interface is different.  (Don't
confuse a typed command with an operating system call!)  The only
reason you don't have a similar problem with APW and ECP is that
they copy just one file at a time (you'd have to copy one _very
large_ file to get the same problem); the Finder reads as many files
as possible into the available memory, which is usually a Good
Thing--it can do the copy faster.

>UUCP: {rosevax,crash}!orbit!pnet51!dougm             Compuserve: 70611,2215
>ARPA:crash!orbit!pnet51!dougm@nosc.mil                     ALPE: DougMac
>INET: dougm@pnet51.cts.com

--David A. Lyons              bitnet: awcttypa@uiamvs
  DAL Systems                 CompuServe:  72177,3233
  P.O. Box 287                GEnie mail:    D.LYONS2
  North Liberty, IA 52317     AppleLinkPE: Dave Lyons