[comp.sys.apple] GS and Apple extended keyboard

>Date:         Sat, 17 Dec 88 20:41:00 PST
>From:         "Scott,
>              part time fuzzy" <SELLSWORTH%HMCVAX.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
>Subject:      enhanced keyboard

>Has anyone hooked up one of the Mac II/SE keybaords (Enhanced?) keyboards
>to a gs yet?  Do the extra keys do anything in most programs?

First, here are the keyboards that are available from Apple (all ADB):
  --the one that comes with the IIgs, which you apparently can't get
    except by buying a IIgs.
  --the Apple Keyboard (the standard keyboard for the Mac SE, which
    is identical, as far as I can tell, to the GS keyboard, except
    for the way the case it shaped...feels a little different, but
    it has exactly the same keys on it; actually I'm using one of
    these on my GS right now (it's wired in parallel with the
    original keyboard))
  --Apple Extended Keyboard (has 15 function keys, keys labeled
    Help, home, end, page up, page down, arrow keys in a T layout,
    and extra copies of the Apple, Option, and Control keys)

There was a Mac II with an extended keyboard "passing through" at
work a few months ago, so I swiped its keyboard for a while and
put it on a GS to see what I could see.

All the standard stuff worked fine; the function keys showed up as
lower-case letters ON THE KEYPAD.  Since most software ignores the
keypad bit when reading keys, they just show up as lowercase letters.
In theory keyboard macro programs (like DiversiKey or MacroMate) could
map the function keys into arbitrary Macros, but I believe MacroMate
does not currently support it, and I haven't investigated whether
DiversiKey does or not.

Also, the extended keyboard has lights for Caps Lock, Num Lock, and
Scroll Lock.  These don't do anything on the GS without special
software.

--David A. Lyons              bitnet: awcttypa@uiamvs
  DAL Systems                 CompuServe:  72177,3233
  P.O. Box 287                GEnie mail:    D.LYONS2
  North Liberty, IA 52317     AppleLinkPE: Dave Lyons