[comp.sys.apple] Want advice on ramdisk

jmb@cbnews.ATT.COM (James M. Brohard) (12/16/88)

Ok.
I have finally broken down and decided to ask Santa Claus for memory
for a ramdisk for my IIGS.  I am completely disgusted by the boot time
of my Apple - even running the new GS/OS of a 3.5" floppy.  I intend to
build up the ramdisk as the boot device.

What is the minimum set of files and directories that I need to load
onto the ramdisk?  What is a guesstimate of the minimum memory needed
to do this?   Is there any other way of avoiding the slow startup time
of the finder - other than a hard disk?

Also, is it really necessary to install a memory battery backup like
Applied Engineering's RAM KEEPER?  What is wrong with just leaving the
cpu powered up with the monitor off?  Isn't this what bulletin boards
do?

Thanks for any help,
Jim Brohard
cbsds!jmb
or
cblph!jmb
or
cbnews!jmb

shawn@pnet51.cts.com (Shawn Stanley) (12/21/88)

jmb@cbnews.ATT.COM (James M. Brohard) writes:
>Ok.
>I have finally broken down and decided to ask Santa Claus for memory
>for a ramdisk for my IIGS.  I am completely disgusted by the boot time
>of my Apple - even running the new GS/OS of a 3.5" floppy.  I intend to
>build up the ramdisk as the boot device.
>
>What is the minimum set of files and directories that I need to load
>onto the ramdisk?  What is a guesstimate of the minimum memory needed
>to do this?   Is there any other way of avoiding the slow startup time
>of the finder - other than a hard disk?

I don't happen to have things handy at the moment, BUT... as for the other
questions, you'll need 512-768k or so to put up a multi-purpose GS/OS system
RAM disk.  And, the Finder is the Finder.  If you don't plan on using your
5.25" disk drive, disconnecting it will speed up Finder startup.

>Also, is it really necessary to install a memory battery backup like
>Applied Engineering's RAM KEEPER?  What is wrong with just leaving the
>cpu powered up with the monitor off?  Isn't this what bulletin boards
>do?

You only need RAM Keeper if you want your memory to stay active when the
machine is powered down.  Or if you're worried about accidental power loss
when keeping your machine powered up.  It's not NECESSARY for using your RAM
disk as a system disk.

UUCP: {rosevax, crash}!orbit!pnet51!shawn
INET: shawn@pnet51.cts.com