[comp.sys.apple] GS speed

jasonl@pro-newfrontier.UUCP (Jason Lindquist) (12/20/88)

Chris (Did I get your first name right?  I'm not sure....),
        You made a comment in the Info-Apple net about Apple upgrading the
GS's speed.  I'm dumping an article I got off another board which is 85%
confirmed.....

[/] B1 #86 of 99 [\] R

[/] Board  [\] Main Bulletin Board
[/] Number 86 of 99  [\]
[/] Subject  [\] IIgs+
[/] To  [\] All
[/] From [\] . HAKER (#191)
[/] Date [\] 10/31/88 11:42:39 PM

 Brd ->General Bulletins
Numb ->109 of 128
 Sub ->New GS PLUS (?)
  To ->All
>From ->Joe Greaves (#45)
Date ->10/15/88  06:38:25 PM

I picked up this file on a bbs in the area. Its distributor had claimed in
that
it was from AppleLink. I checked it and didn't find one. While this doesn't
prove it untrue, this file seems highly suspect to me. Let me know what you
think--here it comes:

APPLE IIGS PLUS

Copyrigh 1988, Apple Computer, Inc.

The Apple IIGS Plus includes 2 MB of RAM and a space for three internal
drives, built to house two 3.5" drives plus one 3.5" high-capacity storage
device. The Apple IIGS Plus can be expanded to 16MB of RAM, due to a new
variant of standard memory management systems.

The new machine runs on the 65832 processor from Western Design Center at
an effective speed of 10.038 Mhz, with all associated hardware upgraded to
handle the acceleration of computational activities. Graphic displays have
been duly upgraded for a dramatic improvement in speed over past releases.

The Apple IIGS Plus handles four new graphics modes, all improvements
based upon the existing design. The new graphic modes are fully compatible
with current software, permitting all programs following the Apple
Guidelines to run without problems.

The Ensoniq now comes equipped with 128k of sound-dedicated RAM.

A SCSI interface is built into the machine, permitting a high rate of
transfer to high capacity storage devices.

All tools have been fully optimized for speed and efficiency. They have
also been included in the 256k ROM within the computer. This will
dramatically decrease Apple IIGS System Disk v5.00 loading time, by
approximately 50 percent.

"Floating Slot Assignment" is now supported, so various included ports
may be in active use while a peripheral card in a slot normally occupying
their address space is being used. In addition, cards can be remapped,
such that a expansion card in slot 7 could be seen as a card in slot 2 by
software.

AppleCare is available for the Apple IIGS Plus. (A2832)

PricingInformation:

Apple IIGS Plus CPU......................$1299
Apple IIGS to IIGS Plus CPU Upgrade........299
Apple IIGS Plus Analog RGB Monitor.........899

Availability Information:

All products heretofore mentioned will be shipped to authorized dealers
during the first quarter of 1989.

Additional information on these new products may be obtained from
AppleLink's Technical Forums or from your local authorized dealer.

The 2 megabytes of memory for a mere $1299 seems unlikely to me considering
that Apple just raised it prices on computers, blaming the RAM shortage.
Also, is the 65C832 even finished with its design yet? We'll have to wait
and see.....
                        Joe Greaves

[B1 #109 of 128] ? or Cmd [N]#

Well thats what I found.....

This messsage is really to apple kid....

                                     Haker

[/] B1 #86 of 99 [\]

O.K.  There you have it....Anyone who works with apple want to confirm it?

+------------------------------------------+---------------------------------+
|  Jason A. Lindquist                      | "Just like your father....      |
|    UUCP: crash!pro-newfrontier!jasonl    |   so human."                    |
|    ARPA: crash!pro-newfrontier!jason@    |                                 |
|          nosc.mil                        | "Well, Admiral, it looks like   |
|    INET: jasonl@pronewfrontier.cts.com   |   i've got all his marbles."    |
| Proline: jasonl@pro-newfrontier          |                                 |
+------------------------------------------+---------------------------------+
| I liked my long, 17-line .sig better, but our esteemed Mr. Davis didn't    |
| like real long ones.  I will consider this action I'm taking, and by Jan.  |
| 2, I might restore the old one.  Comments will be appreciated              |

>I picked up this file on a bbs in the area. Its distributor had claimed in
>that it was from AppleLink. I checked it and didn't find one.

There's virtually NO CHANCE that the message is authentic.

>APPLE IIGS PLUS
>
>The new machine runs on the 65832 processor from Western Design Center at

The chip exists but Western Design continues to say that Apple has made
NO commitment to use it in any future computer (chances are good that they'd
"rephrase that" if they were shipping production quantities to Cupertino)

>All products heretofore mentioned will be shipped to authorized dealers
>during the first quarter of 1989.

No way (sad to say).  Even last October, it was obvious that an upgrade to
the IIgs isn't likely before Dec 1989.  The IIgs+ will be a MAJOR
announcement; the sort of thing reserved for AppleFest (May or September).
January is MacWorld and Apple's "year of the CPU" is going to be mostly
68030.  In fact, Apple's going to be betting the future so heavily on the
new Mac line that it's entirely plausible that they'll delay the IIgs+
until 1990 so as not to distract.  The IIgs+ MIGHT be announced in Sep '89
for the '89 Christmas selling season, BUT Apple might well go for the K-12
Mac instead.  The IIgs+ is almost certainly going to be a faster 65816.

** Bit of Vaporware **

A developer friend tells me that, to save on production costs, the K-12 Mac
will be built with the SAME motherboard FORMS as the (new) Mac SE (with the
68030).  He says, someone handy with tools and a few spare parts will be
able to convert the (under $1000?) K-12 Mac to a full fledged SE ($2700?)
for MUCH LESS than the price difference (free enterprise is EXTREMELY likely
to provide these "made-over" Macs on the open market <without an Apple
warranty, of course> at a really reasonable price).

                                     [The Far Side shall return (I hope)]
Murph Sewall     Sewall@UCONNVM.BITNET
Business School  sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu          [INTERNET]
U of Connecticut {rutgers psuvax1 ucbvax & in Europe - mcvax}
                 !UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL                        [UUCP]

-+- My employer isn't responsible for my mistakes AND vice-versa!

"Close enough for government work" - source unknown (naturally ;-)

friedman@porthos.rutgers.edu (Gadi ) (12/21/88)

In article <8812200517.AA00162@crash.cts.com> jasonl@pro-newfrontier.UUCP (Jason Lindquist) writes:

> Chris (Did I get your first name right?  I'm not sure....),
>         You made a comment in the Info-Apple net about Apple upgrading the
> GS's speed.  I'm dumping an article I got off another board which is 85%
> confirmed.....

> >From ->Joe Greaves (#45)
> Date ->10/15/88  06:38:25 PM

...>

> APPLE IIGS PLUS
>
> Copyrigh 1988, Apple Computer, Inc.
>
> Additional information on these new products may be obtained from
> AppleLink's Technical Forums or from your local authorized dealer.
>

> Also, is the 65C832 even finished with its design yet? We'll have to wait
> and see.....
>                         Joe Greaves
>

> |  Jason A. Lindquist                      | "Just like your father.... "

Come on guys, did you read this stuff?   It's all written in 9th grade
level English.  You really think Apple would "Copyrigh" and publish
this junk.  It looks like some high-school student's wet dream.

Practically evey bit of information in this message is impossible.

                                 Gadi

blank lines

uucp:   {ames, cbosgd, harvard, moss}!rutgers!aramis.rutgers.edu!friedman
arpa:   FRIEDMAN@ARAMIS.RUTGERS.EDU

V112PDL5@UBVMSC.CC.BUFFALO.EDU (12/22/88)

>Date: Wed, 21 Dec 88 06:07:18 EST
>From: pnet01!crash!mitvma.mit.edu!SEWALL%UCONNVM.BITNET (Murph Sewall)
>Subject: Re: GS speed

                  writes

>The chip exists but Western Design continues to say that Apple has made
>NO commitment to use it in any future computer (chances are good that they'd
>"rephrase that" if they were shipping production quantities to Cupertino)

     To what degree does the 65832 exist? Have prototypes been made?
Is there a specific description available for it yet? If so, they are
be ahead of schedule.

from June, 1988 O-A -

"Prototypes of the 65832 are expected in about 18 months; production is
expected to start to start in 1990 with 8Mhz chips."

     When it does become available it should be easy to write for even
if Apple doesn't support it initially: ByteWorks had a 65816 version of
ORCA/M in 1984.

                                   - Mark Cromwell

                         Merry Christmas!