[comp.sys.apple] communication software

urt@NAV.ICST.NBS.GOV (Allen Wilkinson) (12/21/88)

Hi,

I'm planning on buying a modem soon and need to find the best vt-100
emulator that I can.  So far I have found out that ProTerm is one of
the best.  It does not matter if it is a commercial, public, or
shareware package as long as it does emulate a vt-100 very effectively.
Any info will be greatly appreciated.  Oh, yeah, I will be using it on
Apple IIes and IIgses.  Thanks again.
				R. Allen 'URT' Wilkinson
				urt@cmr.icst.nbs.gov

>I'm planning on buying a modem soon and need to find the best vt-100
>emulator that I can.  So far I have found out that ProTerm is one of
>the best.  It does not matter if it is a commercial, public, or
>shareware package as long as it does emulate a vt-100 very effectively.

ProTerm will do it for you, but you may find saving $79 a nice idea too.
Kermit-65 version 3.84 is available by anonymous ftp from

cunixc.cc.columbia.edu

Aside from being a public domain program that will do as good a vt-100
emulation at ProTerm, you get superior technical support because the
author is Ted Medin <medin-t@shark.nosc.mil> who DOES answer his mail
(responds to inquiries, fixes bug, leaps tall buildings in a single bound :-)

                                     [The Far Side shall return (I hope)]
Murph Sewall     Sewall@UCONNVM.BITNET
Business School  sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu          [INTERNET]
U of Connecticut {rutgers psuvax1 ucbvax & in Europe - mcvax}
                 !UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL                        [UUCP]

-+- My employer isn't responsible for my mistakes AND vice-versa!

"Close enough for government work" - source unknown (naturally ;-)

alan@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu (2058) (12/22/88)

In article <8812211047.aa19061@SMOKE.BRL.MIL> SEWALL@UCONNVM.BITNET (Murph Sewall) writes:
>>I'm planning on buying a modem soon and need to find the best vt-100
>>emulator that I can.  So far I have found out that ProTerm is one of
>>the best.  It does not matter if it is a commercial, public, or
>>shareware package as long as it does emulate a vt-100 very effectively.
>
>ProTerm will do it for you, but you may find saving $79 a nice idea too.
>Kermit-65 version 3.84 is available by anonymous ftp from
>
>cunixc.cc.columbia.edu
>
>Aside from being a public domain program that will do as good a vt-100
>emulation at ProTerm, you get superior technical support because the
>author is Ted Medin <medin-t@shark.nosc.mil> who DOES answer his mail
>(responds to inquiries, fixes bug, leaps tall buildings in a single bound :-)

I am currently using Kermit 3.84 and am happy with its vt100
emulation.  I have also used ASCII Express (not sure which version)
in the past.  It doesn't have great emulation but its other features
are pretty good.

What I would like to do is be able to communicate coherently at
9600 baud while doing vt-100.  I am running on an Apple //e.
It is an enhanced model (though rev. A motherboard) and I have
an extended 80 col. card.  Is it possible to do this on my system.
Please note that I have been able to do Kermit transfers at 9600
with *no* reported errors.  I should add that my interface is
a SSC.

If you can offer any help with this problem, please E-mail or
post at your discretion.

Thanks in advance...
                                    Alan  (:^|

mail to: alan @ aplcen
         ins_aads @ jhuvm

"God, what a mess, on the ladder of success,
 You took one step and missed the whole first rung..." -The Replacements