[comp.sys.apple] DISINFORMATION

davidbrierley@LYNX.NORTHEASTERN.EDU (12/21/88)

     A Ms. Linda S. Bourque at Xerox has stated that the request for
Christmas cards (which the family has terminated) was a hoax.  Although
it is true that several hoaxes of this nature have occurred in the
recent past, the case to which I referred to was not.  That particular
request was broadcast on police teletypes and was mentioned in an NBC
report (the report was the one that mentioned that the family asked
that no more cards be sent since too many came in already).  A phone call
to the post office in Springfield, Florida, also revealed that it was not
a hoax.  I have sent an electronic memo to Ms. Bourque asking that she
reveal the source of her information.  I have also asked her to stop
formatting her messages in such a way that doesn't make it clear that
she sent them (her message looks like it may have been sent by me).

                                                David R. Brierley

P.S.  I'm sorry to infringe on info-apple again, but I had to clarify
      the false information.

larry@pdn.UUCP (Larry Swift) (12/22/88)

In article <memo.71471@lynx.northeastern.edu> davidbrierley@LYNX.NORTHEASTERN.EDU writes:
>it is true that several hoaxes of this nature have occurred in the
>recent past, the case to which I referred to was not.  That particular

Read my lips:  We don't care!!  Hoax or not, little David's cancer doesn't
belong on even 1/4 of the newsgroups it gets posted to -- and certainly
not this one.

>P.S.  I'm sorry to infringe on info-apple again, but I had to clarify
>      the false information.

No, you didn't HAVE to.

Larry Swift                     UUCP: {peora,uunet}!pdn!larry
Paradyne Corp., LG-129          Phone: (813) 530-8605
P. O. Box 2826
Largo, FL, 34649-9981           She's old and she's creaky, but she holds!

bfox%vision@HUB.UCSB.EDU (Brian Fox) (12/23/88)

   Read my lips:  We don't care!!  Hoax or not, little David's cancer doesn't
   belong on even 1/4 of the newsgroups it gets posted to -- and certainly
   not this one.

Lighten up, and don't speak for everybody.

Brian Fox