[comp.sys.apple] Transwarp

rmeyer@cca.CCA.COM (Richard Meyer) (06/23/87)

In reference to a recent posting about transwarp cards: I have a few, also,
and you should be warned that the Apple IIe powersupply may overheat, since
the transwarp draws a lot of current.  This is especially problematic if you
have a number of additional cards.  There was a posting to the net  not too
long ago suggesting to replace the Apple powersupply with a JDR or Jameco.
(cost about 50$, procedure very simple).  This does indeed clear the problem
(whereas a system-saver fan alone may not do the trick).

So: be warned, and count on having to spend the extra money if you install
one of the accelerator cards.

larry@pdn.UUCP (Larry Swift) (06/26/87)

In article <17027@cca.CCA.COM> rmeyer@CCA.CCA.COM.UUCP (Richard Meyer) writes:
>....  There was a posting to the net  not too
>long ago suggesting to replace the Apple powersupply with a JDR or Jameco.
>(cost about 50$, procedure very simple).  This does indeed clear the problem

Sometime ago I posted a request for source(s) of alternate, larger Apple
power supplies, but received none.  This seems like a good place to relate
again my experience with the above (and others, like them, made in Taiwan
& Korea).

In summary:  with 5 cards in the IIe (no Transwarp, but another accelerator
and 2 ramdisks), they have been unreliable.  Not only have some been dead
on arrival, but I don't think any of them lasted more than 12 months.  For
my particular configuration, it turned out that adding a system saver solved
the problem, although the margins were less than I could have hoped for.

Again I ask, has anyone found a larger, reliable power supply?  Even custom
built experiences would be welcome.

Larry Swift 			UUCP: gatech!usfvax2!pdn!larry
Paradyne Corp., LF-207  	Phone: (813) 530-8605
P. O. Box 2826  		Opinions expressed are my own -- perfect in
Largo, FL, 34649-9981		     time, as yet unsullied by yours.

larry@pdn.UUCP (Larry Swift) (06/26/87)

In article <17027@cca.CCA.COM> rmeyer@CCA.CCA.COM.UUCP (Richard Meyer) writes:
>....  There was a posting to the net  not too
>long ago suggesting to replace the Apple powersupply with a JDR or Jameco.
>(cost about 50$, procedure very simple).  This does indeed clear the problem

Sometime ago I posted a request for source(s) of alternate, larger Apple
power supplies, but received none.  This seems like a good place to relate
again my experience with the above (and others, like them, made in Taiwan
& Korea).

In summary:  with 5 cards in the IIe (no Transwarp, but another accelerator
and 2 ramdisks), they have been unreliable.  Not only have some been dead
on arrival, but I don't think any of them lasted more than 12 months.  For
my particular configuration, it turned out that adding a system saver solved
the problem, although the margins were less than I could have hoped for.

Again I ask, has anyone found a larger, reliable power supply?  Even custom
built experiences would be welcome.

Larry Swift 			UUCP: {gatech,codas,ucf-cs}!usfvax2!pdn!larry
Paradyne Corp., LF-207  	Phone: (813) 530-8605
P. O. Box 2826  		Opinions expressed are my own -- perfect in
Largo, FL, 34649-9981		     time, as yet unsullied by yours.

ranger@ecsvax.UUCP (Rick N. Fincher) (06/29/87)

Applied Engineering and Jameco make heavy duty Apple II power supplies.

Rick Fincher
ranger@ecsvax

halp@TCGOULD.TN.CORNELL.EDU ("Bruce P. Halpern") (07/01/87)

My experience with TRANSWARP cards in ][e that are also equipped with a serial
card, parallel card, mouse card, RamWorks (1 MEG), is that the original Apple
][e power supply was, and is, fine in two cases, but couldn't hack it in a
third. For this one, a Applied Engineering power supply was put it (perfect
fit, 5 minutes). It run the TRANSWARP, two serial cards, a clock card, and
a RamFactor (1 MEG), which is **really** a power eater, quite nicely.

Conclusion: Try the TRANSWARP first with your original power supply, unless
you have reason to believe it's already marginal.

Bruce P. Halpern  halp@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu   HALP@CRNLTHRY.BITNET

mkao@pnet01.CTS.COM (Mike Kao) (07/01/87)

Applied Engineering sells a 5-amp power supply for about $50. This will
provide ample amperage (didn't mean to alliterate) since the original power
supply was designed for only about 1.2 amps (I think).
Please reply via e-mail instead of the net. Thank you.

                                        -- Mike Kao

UUCP: {cbosgd, hplabs!hp-sdd, sdcsvax, nosc}!crash!pnet01!mkao
ARPA: crash!pnet01!mkao@nosc.mil
INET: mkao@pnet01.CTS.COM

halp@TCGOULD.TN.CORNELL.EDU ("Bruce P. Halpern") (07/01/87)

Specific subject: REPLACEMENT POWER SUPPLIES FOR APPLE ][e

I installed a Applied Engineering replacement power supply in an enhanced
Apple ][e when an Apple Super Serial Card, another serial card, and
controllers for 5.25" and 3.5" disks, plus Applied Engineering clock card,
Transwarp, and RamFactor (getting most of its power from a RamCharger)
proved to be to much. The Applied Engineering power supply was easy to
install, fit perfectly into the space of the old supply, completely solved
the power supply problem, and has been fully reliable.

Bruce P. Halpern  halp@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu   HALP@CRNLTHRY.BITNET

                  D57J@CRNLVAX5.BITNET

mw22+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Alan Wertheim) (01/15/88)

In my last post about the Zip Chip, I wrote "it won't interfere with
peripherals -- the major problem with Transwarp."  I have received some
messages from satisfied Transwarp users.  In general, the Transwarp seems like
a fairly reliable piece of equipment.  There have been letters published in
"Open Apple", though, about flakiness caused by the Transwarp card.

In one letter, someone was having problems with Transwarp and a mouse card.
Either card would work if the other was not in the machine, but they wouldn't
work together.

In the 3/87 issue (page 3.87), one user, who used a Transwarp along with a
Checkmate card with 768K, said that three copy-protected disks were destroyed
when he tried to disable Transwarp by pressing escape during booting.

Tom Weishaar replied that he was having some strange problems with Appleworks,
and when he replaced his Transwarp card with a Speedemon card, the problem
disappeared.

Mike Wertheim

halp@TCGOULD.TN.CORNELL.EDU ("Bruce P. Halpern") (01/16/88)

I can't comment on Checkmate cards, since none of my ][e have them. All have
either RamWorks or RamFactor. Several have Apple mouse cards. No problems have
appeared with the mouse and AppleWorks (SuperMacroworks or Timeout enhanced),
Beagle Graphics, ProSel, or MousePaint. Haven't yet given DazzelDraw a serious
workout.

I'm not a very sophisticated user, however. There may be problems that a
demanding programmer would encounter that I would never see or notice.

****DISCLAMER: My comments, etc., are my own shakey opinions ********

  |  Bruce P. Halpern  Psychology & Neurobiology & Behavior Cornell Ithaca |
  |  ARPA: halp@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu                                     |
  |  BITNET: HALP@CRNLTHRY      D57J@CORNELLA      D57J@CRNLVAX5           |
  |  PHONE: 607-255-6433    Uris Hall, Cornell U., Ithaca, NY 14853-7601   |

jdc@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Jeff Capehart) (01/23/88)

I have a Transwarp card installed in a //e along with a mouse card, the
Sider controller, floppy disk, RC Systems Slotbuster II, the 80 col card,
and sometimes a serial card (SSC).  My problem is that some programs in
Hi-res graphics mode get little blips on the display screen.  The entire
8 bit pattern on the screen is cleared even tho the byte read from that
particluar location will say it should be $FF.  An attempt to clear it
to 0, and then store $FF again will lite it up.  This only happens when
the transwarp runs at fast speed and the Slotbuster is installed.  For
those who dont know, the Slotbuster performs multi functions of Parallel
port, serial port, clock (opt), and speech synthesis.  Does this also
sound like a power supply problem?  I do have a fan, but just the old
power supply that came with it.  It is enhanced //e (1984).  Thanks.

--
Jeff Capehart 		Internet: micronaut%oak.decnet@pine.circa.ufl.edu
University of Florida	UUCP:	  ..!ihnp4!codas!ufcsv!beach.cis.ufl.edu!jdc

cbennett@pro-newfrontier.UUCP (Chris Bennett) (12/23/88)

----1st of 2 messages----

>        You made a comment in the Info-Apple net about Apple upgrading the
>GS's speed.  I'm dumping an article I got off another board which is 85%
>confirmed.....

85% confirmed with WHO?  Not Apple, I assure you.

>>I picked up this file on a bbs in the area. Its distributor had claimed in
>>that
>>it was from AppleLink. I checked it and didn't find one. While this doesn't
>>prove it untrue, this file seems highly suspect to me. Let me know what you
>>think--here it comes:

I think this is a waste of my time is what I think!

>>                        Joe Greaves

Stuff it, Joe.

>+----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
>|  Jason A. Lindquist                      | "Just like your father....      |
>|    UUCP: crash!pro-newfrontier!jasonl    |   so human."                    |
>|    ARPA: crash!pro-newfrontier!jason@    |                                 |
>|          nosc.mil                        | "Well, Admiral, it looks like   |
>|    INET: jasonl@pronewfrontier.cts.com   |   i've got all his marbles."    |
>| Proline: jasonl@pro-newfrontier          |                                 |
>+------------------------------------------+---------------------------------+
>| I liked my long, 17-line .sig better, but our esteemed Mr. Davis didn't    |
>| like real long ones.  I will consider this action I'm taking, and by Jan.  |
>| 2, I might restore the old one.  Comments will be appreciated              |
>+----------------------------------------------------------------------------+

Jason, I've seen a number of these IIGS+ rumor files.  One of them was quite
good, actually.  Whoever wrote it made no technical errors and it included the
kind of address specific info that one would expect (in particular, it gave
a memory map of the alledged new "400x[320/640]" modes).  It made good reading
and it may indeed turn out that the IIGS+ fits the description (if the IIGS+
ever materializes) but there is NO PROOF of ANY of it being true.

While I'm sure we all enjoyed the first few rumor files I suspect that they
are beginning to aggravate a number of people.  Until there is some
substantiated information I suggest that we keep this kind of nonsense off of
the net.

...and I thought my .sig was long.  Really, Jason, that is too much.  Lose the
border and I think you'll keep Lord Morgan satisfied :-).  My .sig looks
really long but that's only because I squeezed everything together to save
bytes... (remember, spaces and border take up just as much space as real
info)

----the Second part----

>The ideas that software must "require" 7 MHz to produce sales of an
>accelerator board, and that AE should produce such software, are off the
>mark. It's the user the requires the speed, not the software. If you don't
>mind waiting, then you don't need it.

> |  Bruce P. Halpern  Psychology & Neurobiology & Behavior Cornell Ithaca    |
> |  INTERNET:halp@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu  BITNET:D57J@CORNELLA  D57J@CRNLVAX5|
> |  UUCP:{vax135,rochester,decvax}!cornell!batcomputer!halp                  |
> |  PHONE: 607-255-6433    Uris Hall, Cornell U., Ithaca, NY 14853-7601      |

My point was that those programs that DO require 7Mhz (fast-action arcade type
games, mostly) will not be developed unless there are a significant number of
IIGSs with the Transwarp card.  You are right, of course, when you say that
it still may be worthwhile to get the card to enhance current software.

UUCP : crash!pro-newfrontier!cbennett   <IIgs+>  /###""""""""\
INET : cbennett@pro-newfrontier.cts.com <-NOW-> /###    #     \
ARPA : crash!pro-newfrontier!cbennett@nosc.mil |#####          |
GEnie: c-bennett AKA the Amateur <A Wandering> |##########     |
SNAIL: Chris Bennett, PO Box 14  <Philosopher>  \####### ##   /
-Burp- Lake Forest, Il., 60045 (Passing Maniac?) \########___/