[comp.sys.apple] Apple // manuals

jasonl@pro-newfrontier.UUCP (Jason Lindquist) (12/12/88)

Randy-  I see your point, but if you take that into consideration, then
shouldn't Apple make it a little easier (in many areas, including the wallet)
to get a hold of this information.  Maybe a note in the regular manuals about
how to get copies of the tech manuals?  Anytime I want to get a tech/non-idiot
manual, I have to run around like an idiot all over the Chicago North Shore to
find a bookstore that has anything in the way of Apple Tech manuals!  Needless
to say, it's a pain.  But don't point out anything about B.S. degrees.  For
those people who can't read a manual (even an idiot manual) enough to find a
power switch ought to have their degrees taken back or have the B.S. changed
to mean the equivalent of male bovine excrement (I think everyone catches my
drift)
+------------------------------------------+---------------------------------+
|  Jason A. Lindquist                      | "Just like your father....      |
|    UUCP: crash!pro-newfrontier!jasonl    |   so human."                    |
|    ARPA: crash!pro-newfrontier!jason@    |                                 |
|          nosc.mil                        | "Well, Admiral, it looks like   |
|    INET: jasonl@pronewfrontier.cts.com   |   i've got all his marbles."    |
| Proline: jasonl@pro-newfrontier          |                                 |
+------------------------------------------+---------------------------------+
|   The opinions expressed above do not reflect those of my employers, since |
| I am unemployed, and they do not reflect those of my parents, since they   |
| don't care what I say here, and they do not reflect those of Glenbrook     |
| North High School or any of _its_ employers, since they don't give two     |
| (naughty word)s about what I do in my spare time.  I guess that means that |
| what I say here is my own opinion, until I realize that I may be possesed  |
| and am expressing someone else's opinion.  In which case, I won't be any   |
| the wiser.  (nice long .sig, eh?)                                          |
+------------------------------------------+---------------------------------+

dkletter@ATHENA.MIT.EDU (12/15/88)

Jason Lindquist <pnet01!pro-newfrontier!jasonl@nosc.mil> writes:

> Randy-  I see your point, but if you take that into consideration, then
> shouldn't Apple make it a little easier (in many areas, including the wallet)
> to get a hold of this information.  Maybe a note in the regular manuals about
> how to get copies of the tech manuals?

Someone as knowledgeable as yourself should know that Apple distributes it's
technical information through APDA, the Apple Programmer's and Developer's
Assocation. If you've been reading the net at all lately, you'll have read that
Apple is currently in the process of taking over part of that organization,
to distribute its own technical information. This has made it very easy in the
past for non-developers located even in the most remote parts of the USA and
Canada to receive all available technical information.

As for your wallet, your small complaint about the expensive price of manuals
is greatly overshadowed by many, many more people complaining about the
high price of Apple's CPUs. If you want to include all this tech information
with the products, you're boosting the CPU's price even further. This would
reduce Apple's market...indeed, people who buy computers today aren't like the
customers of the 1970's...most Apple users don't care about technical
information anymore...this is a GOOD thing for the industry...don't blame
Apple Computer.

David Kletter

ALBRO@NIEHS.BITNET (12/22/88)

programmer/hobbiests like those of the 70's and therefore don't need the
Apple technical references, may I suggest that those of the 70's weren't
either until they read the manuals that came with the Apples in the days of
the II+ and were stimulated to BECOME hobbiest/programmers?  Apple's current
manuals actively DISCOURAGE interest in understanding the machine or the
programs.  This is a mistake they will pay for in the future when there are
few if any new Apple programmers to maintain the program market.

Phil Albro

shawn@pnet51.cts.com (Shawn Stanley) (12/24/88)

ALBRO@NIEHS.BITNET writes:
>programmer/hobbiests like those of the 70's and therefore don't need the
>Apple technical references, may I suggest that those of the 70's weren't
>either until they read the manuals that came with the Apples in the days of
>the II+ and were stimulated to BECOME hobbiest/programmers?  Apple's current
>manuals actively DISCOURAGE interest in understanding the machine or the
>programs.  This is a mistake they will pay for in the future when there are
>few if any new Apple programmers to maintain the program market.
>
>Phil Albro

Just an observation here... when the Apple II appeared in the high schools, we
did of course have the earlier versions that started up in monitor mode.  This
made myself and others rather curious, and we played with things in monitor
mode extensively, in addition to hand-assembling little programs.  I >think<
that booting into monitor mode might have been a motivating factor, silly as
it seems.

UUCP: {rosevax, crash}!orbit!pnet51!shawn
INET: shawn@pnet51.cts.com