[comp.sys.apple] Old-Prodos questions

L77@TAUNOS.BITNET (Yoram Ney) (12/24/88)

I've been using the PRODOS BASIC disk that came along with "Basic Programing
With Prodos" book.I've been trying to Bload binary files into memory.
My GS's reaction was to bark at me "NO BUFFERS AVAILABLE".
What does "NO BUFFERS AVAILABLE" realy mean? What do you do to free a buffer?
How do you get prodos to discern some or all of the 1.25 mb too-expensive
memory chips on the expansion card???
Thanks for any information!

                        L77@TAUNOS

V112PDL5@UBVMSC.CC.BUFFALO.EDU (12/24/88)

   "No buffers available" means the bit corresponding to the memory
page your trying to BLOAD to is set in ProDOS's own memory usage
bit map. One of the more frequent cases where this occurs is when
trying to bload text to the text screen. $0400 is marked allocated
under ProDOS.
   In order to allow ProDOS to load into that memory page, you'll have
to turn off the appropriate bit. The specific details are available
in one of Apple's manuals probably entitled ProDOS 8 Technical Ref.
manual (or something similar), or by _Inside Apple's ProDOS.
   There is no way in which ProDOS 8 will recognize the extended memory
features of the GS except via Ram disks. It will not load into any
bank except bank 00 (or save from for that matter).

                         - Mark Cromwell

p.s. Make sure the page your trying to free is not actually used
     by ProDOS 8 or the BI.

jockc@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Jock Cooper) (12/24/88)

In article <8812231645.aa14302@SMOKE.BRL.MIL> L77@TAUNOS.BITNET (Yoram Ney) writes:
>I've been using the PRODOS BASIC disk that came along with "Basic Programing
>With Prodos" book.I've been trying to Bload binary files into memory.
>My GS's reaction was to bark at me "NO BUFFERS AVAILABLE".
>What does "NO BUFFERS AVAILABLE" realy mean? What do you do to free a buffer?

Although this can mean various things, I usually see when trying to BLOAD a
file into an area of memory that ProDOS knows is in use.  ProDOS keeps a
bitmap of memory (kind of like the one on a disk) and will complain if you try
to overwrite used memory.  (example: bload'ing a file which would overwrite
BASIC.SYSTEM or the ProDOS kernel is not allowed..)  Sometimes older programs
would BLoad in over the text page to effectively print a message while the
file loaded. Prodos won't allow it, because it knows the text page is reserved.

Jock Cooper
HCA Information Services
UUCP: ihnp4!killer!jockc

ALBRO@NIEHS.BITNET (12/28/88)

This is in response to the question "what does NO BUFFERS AVAILABLE really mean?
   "
from Yoram Ney (L77%TAUNOS).  It really means "I DON'T HAVE AN APPROPRIATE
ERROR MESSAGE AVAILABLE".  99% of the time, this message has nothing whatever
to do with buffers.  It usually means you tried to bload a file into a memory
area that is marked "protected" in the ProDOS internal bitmap.  Maybe the
auxtype is mis-listed in the directory as $0000.  Maybe space has been reserved
for "added" prodos commands and you are trying to bload there.  You may have
to reboot PRODOS/BASIC.SYSTEM to clean up the bitmap and try your bload again.
Or try bloading at $2000, which is seldom "protected".  Finally, the file may
be too long to fit in the available "free" memory.

- Phil Albro -

aash@ms.uky.edu (aashi deacon) (12/28/88)

Anyone out there have a MIDI interface?  Wanna sell?
Also, any general info about price and usefulness.
The synth I have is an Akai AX-80.  (apple //c)
Any good programs out there?

--
aash
aash@ms.uky.edu

All things are relative.  It just takes a great mind to relate them.