[comp.sys.apple] Hard drive questions

shaver@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu (Dave Shaver) (12/31/88)

I have an Apple ][+ full of cards and a simple question.  I'm pretty
technical in both the ][+ hardware and (older) software.  However, I've
not been following hard drives in the Apple world since the 20M Sider
came out.  My application is mostly Appleworks (using Plus Works) and
AE: Pro.

Currently I have a (dead) 5M profile.  I'm looking to replace (or
repair) the drive.  I have access to a Hitachi 40M DK511-5 (ST506
compatible command set) drive.  I'm wondering what I can do to get this
running on my system.

I've considered getting an Adaptec 506 <-> SCSI controller and then
getting the Apple SCSI card, but I'm not sure that would work.  Does
anyone have experience with this?  I already spent $120 for the (now
useless) Profile controller card.  Is there anything out there yet that
allows one to hook up a 506 drive to a ][+ (or //e) without using SCSI?

Also, does anyone have repair manuals for the profiles?  I'm not scared
to attack it with my 'scope and iron.

/\  Dave Shaver  -=*=-  CS Systems Support Group, Iowa State University
\\  UUCP:  hplabs!hp-lsd!atanasoff!shaver
\/  Internet: shaver@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu

jockc@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Jock Cooper) (12/31/88)

In article <569@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu> shaver@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu (Dave Shaver) writes:
>Currently I have a (dead) 5M profile.  I'm looking to replace (or
>repair) the drive.  I have access to a Hitachi 40M DK511-5 (ST506
>compatible command set) drive.  I'm wondering what I can do to get this
>running on my system.
>
>I've considered getting an Adaptec 506 <-> SCSI controller and then
>getting the Apple SCSI card, but I'm not sure that would work.  Does
>anyone have experience with this?  etc...
>Is there anything out there yet that
>allows one to hook up a 506 drive to a ][+ (or //e) without using SCSI?

I have spent about 100 man hours over the past few months playing with such a
setup.  I have a Toshiba 105 meg ST-506 and also a Hitachi DK511-5.. I also
have the Adaptec 4070 (RLL) ST-506 <-> SCSI controller.  I have both Apple
and CMS SCSI cards.  I have come to the conclusion that the Apple SCSI card
is slightly incompatible with the Adaptec board, why I don't know.  With the
Apple card, I can do pretty much anything I want with the drive, (read/write
blocks, send SCSI commands to do low level format, mode sense/select, etc.)...
However when the Apple SCSI card initializes itself, it somehow incorrectly
interperets the data it gets from the Adaptec.  It thinks that odd numbered
devices (Slot x, drive 1  or  GS/OS  device .SCSI1) are offline.  You can
still read and write blocks to and from a partition, but GS/OS and ProDOS 8
will not bother trying since the card reports that the partition is offline.
Even numbered devices (Slot x, drive 2  or GS/OS device .SCSI2) are OK.  I
have tried using both Disk drives with the Apple card, and have had the
same results with both.  CMS recognizes its partitions fine.  One thing
you can not do with the CMS card is send low level SCSI commands (such as
low level format) to the drive. So if the drive is already formatted,
I'd suggest the Adaptec 4070 / CMS SCSI card combo ...
(Adaptec 4070 will give you 60 megs, Adaptec 4000 only 40megs).
As long as you don't have to low level format the drive ever, you'll be ok.

There is also a ST-506 controller for the // series, made by Perlin electronics
I think.  I have not heard anything good about the card or the manufacturer.
The card is called the Megaboard.

ps. I'm investigating patching the GS/OS SCSI.DRIVER to ignore the incorrect
status byte returned by the SCSI card... If I figure out how, it should
allow the Apple card to work properly with the Adaptec.  Of course, I'll
probably have to patch Prodos 8 somehow, too.

Jock Cooper
ihnp4!killer!jockc