[comp.sys.apple] GS Keycaps and Find File

David William Wrage (IRPGMR7@OUACCVMB.BITNET) writes:
>The Macintosh has this nifty little 'NDA' [...] called FIND FILE.
>This little program allows you to select any number of characters
>that you wish to search for and lists any names that contain that
>particular string of characters.  This program goes through all the
>available disks, directories, and subdirectories (including RAM/ROM
>disks).  [...] I thought I would ask as to whether someone would have
>it already.

I've never seen or written a Find File as an NDA, but I'm
considering it.  For now, equivalent utilities are available outside
the desktop environment.  Actually, a lot of the utilities are
_more_ powerful than Find File, allowing searching by filetype and
auxiliary type as well as a substring of the filename, and
restricting the search to the contents of a particular folder.  The
'ffind' command in Davex [Shareware from me, $25] works this way,
and it even allows you to build script files out of the pathnames of
the files found.

For example, say you want to delete all the OBJ files with names
containing "foo" in the directory /hard2/stuff:

  > temp;ffind /hard2/stuff -f obj -n foo -o"unlock =;delete ="
  exec temp

The 'temp' file created would contain something like this:

  unlock /hard2/stuff/proj1/foo.root;delete /hard2/stuff/proj1/foo.root
  unlock /hard2/stuff/proj1/xyz.root;delete /hard2/stuff/proj1/xyz.root
  unlock /hard2/stuff/foo.root;delete /hard2/stuff/foo.root
  unlock /hard2/stuff/xyz.root;delete /hard2/stuff/xyz.root

If I get around to writing a Find File NDA, it will probably _not_
be able to work in the background the way the Mac version does,
allowing the application to continue running.  The biggest obstacle
to that is that the foreground application could close the directory
files that the DA was reading.

mcgurrin@MITRE.ARPA writes:
>Along the same lines as a recent posting, does anyone know of a NDA
>for the GS that functions like keycaps on the Mac?  It's hard to
>remember where various symbols are with symbol fonts, and on the Mac
>I find keycaps handy.

I haven't seen one; Keycaps prsents an interesting problem on the
IIgs, since there is no system-defined mapping for the Option key.
The most obvious thing it just to add 128 to a character if the
option key is down, but not all programs work that way, so the
keycaps display would be misleading.  Until or unless standards
emerge, the best we can hope for is for each application to provide
a menu option for displaying something keycaps-like.

--David A. Lyons              bitnet: awcttypa@uiamvs
  DAL Systems                 CompuServe:  72177,3233
  P.O. Box 287                GEnie mail:    D.LYONS2
  North Liberty, IA 52317     AppleLinkPE: Dave Lyons

dougm@lakesys.UUCP (Doug McIntyre) (12/31/88)

>I haven't seen one; Keycaps prsents an interesting problem on the
>IIgs, since there is no system-defined mapping for the Option key.
>The most obvious thing it just to add 128 to a character if the
>option key is down, but not all programs work that way, so the
>keycaps display would be misleading.  Until or unless standards
>emerge, the best we can hope for is for each application to provide
>a menu option for displaying something keycaps-like.
>
>--David A. Lyons              bitnet: awcttypa@uiamvs

	Multiscribe/Appleworks GS does support that arangement, and in
fact, there is a keycaps NDA made by Mecc, but not public domain.  It
works just fine with multiscribe/appleworks GS, and all it does is add
$80 to the character.  The way it works, is to install its own keyboard
interupt driver, and basically, just works like Apple's (except apples
is a lot more jmp and so on and so forth in that weird ROM code..) and
then it just displays its keyboard mapping..  I think that most programs
that don't support this arrangement probably won't support the extra
characters anyway..  (for example Orca/desktop) just displays garbage
and goes crazy.  (Actually I don't even think you can type them in even
with this, this was using Styleware's Note pad NDA...  That does work
just fine..

UUCP: uunet!marque!lakesys!dougm			Compuserve: 70611,2215
INET: dougm@lakesys.UUCP					 APLE: DougMac