[comp.sys.apple] Apple II Future [Why not a techy's Wish Machine

ralphw@ius3.ius.cs.cmu.edu (Ralph Hyre) (12/17/88)

>>Hmm.  Sounds like something to do after I write my thesis.
Doug Gwyn suggests
>Try adapting Minix instead.  Good luck with the odd-ball Apple I/O.
And I suggest
Or you could try UZI, which is a v7 clone for Z80 systems.
But, it's mostly written in C.  It does multi-processing by total
swapping, which means you need fast hard disk. (or the guts to
port it to a bank-switched environment like that available in the
//e.)

With a bank-switching coprocessor like the PCPI Applicard, it could
be an interesting system.
--
					- Ralph W. Hyre, Jr.
Internet: ralphw@ius3.cs.cmu.edu    Phone:(412) CMU-BUGS

kamath@reed.UUCP (Sean Kamath) (12/19/88)

In article <3886@pt.cs.cmu.edu> ralphw@ius3.ius.cs.cmu.edu (Ralph Hyre) writes:

OK, I knew it was a single digit pdp.  My understanding was that it actually
had a 15 bit bus, giving it a 32K address space.  Ok, So I'm really shaky on
it, but that's the reason I was given for why octal was so big. . . and that
yes, it was a word machine with 16 bit words.  However. . . *I* don't really
know. The point was, it was small.

>>>Hmm.  Sounds like something to do after I write my thesis.

>Doug Gwyn suggests

>>Try adapting Minix instead.  Good luck with the odd-ball Apple I/O.

>Or you could try UZI, which is a v7 clone for Z80 systems.
>But, it's mostly written in C.  It does multi-processing by total
>swapping, which means you need fast hard disk. (or the guts to
>port it to a bank-switched environment like that available in the
>//e.)

Actually, what I had in mind was something a little more complicated, as in
the original first book of Xinu.  In anycase, I currently have a C compiler
for the Apple, and a friend of mine is trying to get the gnu compiler to
output code for the 65816 right now.

I plan to have some larg memory card available, and will either bank switch
in processes with ~48K limites on data/program space, or just go the 65816
option route.  In anycase,  you'll probably hear about this again in 2034.

>--
>					- Ralph W.  Hyre, Jr.

Sean Kamath

(OK, So I'm really testing out the new 2400 baud modem I just bought.  And
Whitney, if you're around these days, you gotta get to theat bug in zlink
before I go crazy! :-) )
--
UUCP:  {decvax allegra ucbcad ucbvax hplabs}!tektronix!reed!kamath
CSNET: reed!kamath@Tektronix.CSNET  ||  BITNET: kamath@reed.BITNET

dcw@athena.mit.edu (David C. Whitney) (01/01/89)

In article <11439@reed.UUCP> kamath@reed.UUCP (Sean Kamath) writes:

>(OK, So I'm really testing out the new 2400 baud modem I just bought.  And
>Whitney, if you're around these days, you gotta get to theat bug in zlink
>before I go crazy! :-) )
>--
>UUCP:  {decvax allegra ucbcad ucbvax hplabs}!tektronix!reed!kamath
>CSNET: reed!kamath@Tektronix.CSNET  ||  BITNET: kamath@reed.BITNET
>ARPA: kamath%reed.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu
>US Snail: 3934 SE Boise, Portland, OR  97202-3126 (I hate 4 line .sigs!)

What bug!?!?!? Spell it out for me! I may have already fixed it.

Dave Whitney	Third year undergraduate student in Computer Science at MIT
dcw@athena.mit.edu  ...!bloom-beacon!athena.mit.edu!dcw  dcw@goldilocks.mit.edu
I wrote Z-Link. Send me bug reports.           I use a //GS. Send me Tech Info.
"This is MIT. Collect and 3rd party calls will not be accepted at this number."