[comp.sys.apple] ProSEL BACKUP and large volumes

>Date:         Sun, 1 Jan 89 14:27:00 EST
>From:         ALBRO%NIEHS.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
>Subject:      RE: Re:  Backup program for IIgs SCSI 65 Meg Seagate

>On using Prosel's BACKUP with your Seagate - BACKUP can only handle 10
>and 20 mbyte drives.  Too bad.

I don't have a larger hard drive to try it with, but that sounds very
wrong; I don't see any reason why BACKUP wouldn't work with an
arbitrarily large (up to the ProDOS limit of 32M, of course) volume,
and the documentation doesn't mention any restriction on the size of
the volume being backed up.

Possibly you were thinking of BEACH.COMBER; if I remember right, the
standard version can handle volumes up to 10M, and an extended-memory
version can handle up to 20M.  (Actually BEACH.COMBER will work with
larger volumes as long as no blocks are actually in use past the size
it can deal with.)

--David A. Lyons              bitnet: awcttypa@uiamvs
  DAL Systems                 CompuServe:  72177,3233
  P.O. Box 287                GEnie mail:    D.LYONS2
  North Liberty, IA 52317     AppleLinkPE: Dave Lyons

ALBRO@NIEHS.BITNET (01/04/89)

The message from David Lyons is correct - BACKUP on PROSEL is not limited
to 20 meg; it's BEACH.COMBER that is.  Sorry about the confusion.