[comp.sys.apple] TV/Monitor

>Date:         Tue, 3 Jan 89 10:50:54 EST
>From:         Allen Wilkinson <urt@NAV.ICST.NBS.GOV>
>Subject:      TV/monitors

>I have a friend who just bought a Toshiba TV/monitor. He would like
>to know if the output from a VCR is the same as the ][e output to a
>monitor. If so can he connect his ][e to the monitor plugs of his
>Toshiba TV/monitor.  If he can't what is he missing?

Yes, "video out" is pretty generic; if your friend's monitor has a
"video in" jack it should be no problem.  I'm not sure if Apple's
video out quite conforms to whatever standard it ought to, but it is
close enough.  Works for _me_, anyway.  I've never tried it with a
IIe, but it works with my IIgs and my old II+.

Many years ago magazines were saying that II+ video would _not_ give
good results on VCRs; either that applied to older II+ revisions than
mine (mine is revision 7, the last revision; has the Reset/Ctrl-Reset
switch inside on the keyboard board), or VCRs are more tolerant of
not-quite-standard signals these days.

|              R. Allen "Urt" Wilkinson               |
|   National Institute of Standards and Technology    |
| National Computer and Telecommunications Laboratory |
|                 Bldg 225  Room A216                 |
|                Gaithersburg, MD 20899               |
|               ARPA: urt@icst-cmr.arpa               |
|             DOMAIN: urt@cmr.icst.nbs.gov            |

--David A. Lyons              bitnet: awcttypa@uiamvs
  DAL Systems                 CompuServe:  72177,3233
  P.O. Box 287                GEnie mail:    D.LYONS2
  North Liberty, IA 52317     AppleLinkPE: Dave Lyons