[comp.sys.apple] Davex and text editors

>Date:         Thu, 5 Jan 89 22:07:22 GMT
>From:         "John C. Terranova" <geowhiz!jct@SPEEDY.CS.WISC.EDU>
>Subject:      Davex text editor?

>I recently downloaded davex [...]  However, there is one significant
>feature missing - a text editor.  [...] It is somewhat cumbersome to
>have to switch between davex and appleworks just to edit plain text
>files.  Is there a text editor which runs under davex?

I haven't written an editor as an external command; I might sometime,
but it would be a bit crippled, since there isn't a whole lot of RAM
left for external commands to use.

I usually use FreeWriter for quick editing tasks; I believe
FreeWriter is still in the public domain (not sure about FrEdWriter).
It's a SYS file, so it doesn't technicall run _under_ Davex the way
external commands to, but it's fairly small, so it loads quickly.

>I would almost be tempted to write one myself if I knew how to make
>it interact properly with davex.  The documentation I downloaded
>mentions an appendix which gives such info, but I couldn't find it.

That appendix is usually left out of the uploaded package just
because it's big and most people won't want it.  It's always on the
disk that registered users get, and I'm happy to send it to anybody
who's interested.  I'll e-mail you a copy if I can get your address
to work, John; otherwise send me your U.S. mail address and I'll
mail you a disk.

>John Terranova     |  What the hell do I know? | I'm not a Computer Science
>   CS, BS to be    |  I come from Waunakee!    | undergraduate, but I play
>-------------------+---------------------------+ one at school.
>ARPA:   jct%geowhiz.uucp@spool.cs.wisc.edu     +------------------------------
>BITNET: jct%geowhiz.uucp%spool.cs.wisc.edu@vms3.macc.wisc.edu

--David A. Lyons              bitnet: awcttypa@uiamvs
  DAL Systems                 CompuServe:  72177,3233
  P.O. Box 287                GEnie mail:    D.LYONS2
  North Liberty, IA 52317     AppleLinkPE: Dave Lyons

lwv@n8emr.UUCP (Larry W. Virden) (01/07/89)

Anyone know if a) the source for freewriter is available and b) if anyone
has made a mod to freewriter so that a command line shell could pass the
file name to load on the comand line?

--
Larry W. Virden	 75046,606 (CIS)
674 Falls Place, Reynoldsburg, OH 43068 (614) 864-8817