[comp.sys.apple] PC Pursuit

sschneider@pro-exchange.cts.com (The RainForest BBS) (01/05/89)

>CS-ID: #4632.apple/info-apple@pro-exchange 6743 chars
>Date: Wed,  4 Jan 89 06:06:31 EST
>From: pnet01!crash!pro-carolina.cts.com!gregp (Greg Prevost)
>Subject: PCP rate Increase

>Now many of us use PCP and it has become invaluable to us as a group. Many of
>the Echo's including this one gets around because of PCP!  There is a massive
>letter writing campaign currently going on to both the PCP Network BBS
>(accessable through any telenet node by typing C Pursuit at the @ prompt for
>free) and to Telenet directly.  I have seen letters from hundreds of people
>saying they plan on cancelling PCP both by writing a letter to Telenet and by
>informing thier Visa cards to not accept any charges from Telenet effective
>1/31/89.  In just the last couple days the PCP BBS has received over 900
>messages concerning this increase, 99.99 of them complaining bitterly and
>planning on cancelling thier service.

>Many feel that this may be just what Telenet wants, to get rid of the
hobbyist
>and large use users.  If you agree with the rest of us of how unfair this is
>feel free to write or call Telenet at 1-800-Telenet (that way they pay but
>most likely it will take a while to get through)

>Greg Prevost

>ARPA: crash!pro-carolina!gregp@nosc.mil                   your towel!
>INET: gregp@pro-carolina.cts.com                          Ford Prefect

Greg...

Considering the costly alternatives available today, many of us chose PC
Pursuit (quite a few of us actually jumped at the opportunity) because it was
(and in most case, even =WITH= the rate increase and hour cap, still is) one
hell of a deal. Considering that for the past two years I've reaped an average
savings of $750 a month over what AT&T rates would have been for my
=NON-BUSINESS= use of this TeleNET service in my hobbyist pursuit of good
message-bases and information (granted that without PC-P I wouldn't have made
most of those $750 worth of calls), I'd be ingracious indeed to voice a
complaint against a service that has served me well just because they raise
their rates and cap the hours to better serve all. There are indeed few places
one can call at $1.00/hour from "here" to "there"...

My only complaint against PC-P has been that I have never been able to do file
transfers on the 2400 bps nodes... the =FEW= (no I am not a massive
upload/down-loader of files) transfers I do I've had to do at 1200 bps. Then
again, I don't have a MNP protocol modem and have not been able to take full
advantage of the system so even that fault is partly mine.

Consider what they originally offered for $25 and what we now receive for that
amount (soon to be $30) both the increase in nodes and the upgrades to the
modems are well worth this difference in cost.

I like PC-Pursuit even though the dumb bastards still won't put Ft. Lauderdale
on the incomming node list so my BBS is PC-P'able... :-)

If you can come up with a better and cheaper alternative, I am always open to
new ideas that don't involve self-injury or bodily contortions and animals.

No "flames" were intended and I hope, none taken.. just my own opinion.

/steve
system manager
the rainforest bbs
305-434-4927 =NOT= PC-P'able thru 305 node

UUCP: crash!pro-exchange!sschneider                  The RainForest BBS
ARPA: crash!pro-exchange!sschneider@nosc.mil         P.O.Box 841422
INET: sschneider@pro-exchange.cts.com                Pembroke Pines, Fl 33084

bird@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Walters) (01/07/89)

> Considering the costly alternatives available today, many of us chose PC
> Pursuit (quite a few of us actually jumped at the opportunity) because it was
> (and in most case, even =WITH= the rate increase and hour cap, still is) one
> hell of a deal. Considering that for the past two years I've reaped an
> average savings of $750 a month over what AT&T rates would have been for my
> =NON-BUSINESS= use of this TeleNET service in my hobbyist pursuit of good
> message-bases.

It Appears to me that the folks at PCP are not being unreasonable at
all with their rate increases, except for BBS systems. Without them,
there would be no reason for users to call (without the BBS there is
nothing at all to call). It then follows that PCP should have one rate
for users and another for sysops. The rate for sysops is needed so they
can exchange files/information needed by their users at a reasonable
rate.

If one looks at the AT&T rates for "Reach out America," we see that the
charge is $10 for the first hour and $7.55 (real close, might not be
exact)  for each additional hour. This gives us $228/30 hours. If PCP is
$30/30 hours it then follows that PCP is: 30 : 30 :: 228 : X = 228 which
means that AT&T is 228% more expensive than PCP. Is this something to
bitch about?

--
				Joe Walters att!ihlpf!bird
				IHP 1F-240 (312) 416-5356

dtroup@carroll1.UUCP (Dave Troup) (01/08/89)

	As well with the price increase, check out the additional charge for
	each hour outside of the 30 hour limit. It's totaly unreasonable.
	There are several groups becoming active in the rage over the price
	increases, most of these are belonging to BBS area groups and
	 I have heard of one forming on Compuserve. If you don't have the
	 full price increases, let me know and I'll mail it off to you.
	 I forget the prime time extra per hour for businesses, but you
	 would be better of calling direct!