[comp.sys.apple] Forth and multitasking??

>Date:         Thu, 5 Jan 89 04:54:50 GMT
>From:         David Douthitt <astroatc!nicmad!madnix!rat@SPEEDY.CS.WISC.EDU>
>Subject:      Re:      Re: Apple II Future
>
>In article <3954@pt.cs.cmu.edu> ralphw@ius3.ius.cs.cmu.edu (Ralph Hyre) writes:
>| Anyway, someday I'll have to write the multitasking OS for the //e
>| and prove everybody wrong:-)
>
>I hate to disappoint you, but a multitasking OS has been out for the 6502
>and innumerable other "crippled" processors: it's called Forth.

That doesn't seem to be a very enlightening statement.  Forth is a
language, not necessarily an operating system (consider GSForth
running under GS/OS, for example), and I don't see how Forth is
inherently multitasking.

By the way, Forth is a neat language on _any_ machine, whether you
consider its processor "crippled" or not.  [That doesn't mean I
recommend doing all your programming in it, but it does have some
really neat principles in its design.]

--David A. Lyons              bitnet: awcttypa@uiamvs
  DAL Systems                 CompuServe:  72177,3233
  P.O. Box 287                GEnie mail:    D.LYONS2
  North Liberty, IA 52317     AppleLinkPE: Dave Lyons