[comp.sys.apple] transfering files >140K

>Date:         Sun, 1 Jan 89 20:34:32 CST
>From:         Kirk Kamberg <kirk@PRO-GATEWAY.CTS.COM>
>Subject:      Data transfer

>I am looking for a way to transfer data from my IIgs to my IIe. The
>problem is that the file is bigger than 143k, so I can't just put it
>on a 5 1/4. I have a AE Serial Pro for the IIe. Is there any way that
>I can just hook the two serial ports together with a cable and have
>it work? (I have a hard drive on the IIe, so the file should fit)
>[...]

An alternative is to split the file into pieces <140K and recombine
them into one file on your IIe's hard drive.  You could use Jeff
Ding's 'split' and 'combine' commands for my Davex command shell to
do it pretty easily, or you could do it "manually" in BASIC.SYSTEM
by using the ",B" option on BLOAD and BSAVE.  You could do it in 32K
chunks pretty easily this way (you can't BLOAD too much more than
32K at a time in BASIC.SYSTEM).

Let's assume the file in question is a TXT file; it doesn't matter,
just substitute the appropriate type into the example.

$8000 is 32K; the following bloads the 4th 32K chunk of MYFILE and
saves it as PART4 on /FLOPPY.

  BLOAD MYFILE,A$1000,L$8000,B$18000,TTXT
  BSAVE /FLOPPY/PART4,A$1000,L$8000

Later, to reconstruct the file on the hard drive, first create an
empty file of the correct type:

  PREFIX /HARD1  (or whatever)
  CREATE MYFILE,TTXT
  BLOAD /FLOPPY/PART4
  BSAVE MYFILE,A$1000,L$8000,B$18000,TTXT

You'll need to adjust the L$ value for the last chunk, unless your
file happens to be an exact multiple of 32K long.  Do a CATALOG in
BASIC.SYSTEM to see the "endfile" (file size) and see what the
remainder is when divided by 32768 (32K).

BTW, to count by $8000, it goes 0, $8000, $10000, $18000, $20000,
$28000, $30000....

--David A. Lyons              bitnet: awcttypa@uiamvs
  DAL Systems                 CompuServe:  72177,3233
  P.O. Box 287                GEnie mail:    D.LYONS2
  North Liberty, IA 52317     AppleLinkPE: Dave Lyons