[comp.sys.apple] Modem on //c ...

CRISMO@HLERUL2.BITNET (Maarten Ouwehand +31 71 276948/27692) (01/06/89)

Hi all,

A simple ? question :
Is it possible to work with a 2400 baud modem on a //c ??

Maarten Ouwehand

dcw@athena.mit.edu (David C. Whitney) (01/07/89)

In article <8901060418.aa13812@SMOKE.BRL.MIL> CRISMO@HLERUL2.BITNET (Maarten Ouwehand +31 71 276948/27692) writes:
>A simple ? question :
>Is it possible to work with a 2400 baud modem on a //c ??
>
>Maarten Ouwehand

It ought to be. Any modem program that uses interrupts to receive characters
(like Z-Link) should be able to work at speeds up to 9600 baud. Any program
which doesn't use interrupts (such as Kermit) would have to poll the serial
port at a pretty high rate.

Dave Whitney	Third year undergraduate student in Computer Science at MIT
dcw@athena.mit.edu  ...!bloom-beacon!athena.mit.edu!dcw  dcw@goldilocks.mit.edu
I wrote Z-Link. Send me bug reports.           I use a //GS. Send me Tech Info.
"This is MIT. Collect and 3rd party calls will not be accepted at this number."

>(like Z-Link) should be able to work at speeds up to 9600 baud. Any program
>which doesn't use interrupts (such as Kermit) would have to poll the serial
>port at a pretty high rate.

Whoa, Dave.  Your parental pride in Z-Link is justified, but you're a little
out of touch with what the competition does.

Both Ted Medin's Kermit-65 and Dick Atlee's Kermit-A2 do USE interrupts
(and work dandy at 9600 baud).  Dick's also offers the option of POLLING
if it's used with a serial port that doesn't support interrupts, AND it
manages quite nicely at 9600 (as has SOFTERM 2 for more than 4 years).
The fact that (at 9600 baud) the program must be polling "at a pretty
high rate" is irrelevant from the users point of view (more of a problem
for the software developer, I suppose).

Murph Sewall     Sewall@UCONNVM.BITNET
Business School  sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu          [INTERNET]
U of Connecticut {rutgers psuvax1 ucbvax & in Europe - mcvax}
                 !UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL                        [UUCP]

-+- My employer isn't responsible for my mistakes AND vice-versa!

According to the American Facsimile Association, more than half the calls
from Japan to the U.S. are fax calls.  FAX it to me at: 1-203-486-5246

dcw@ATHENA.MIT.EDU ("Dave Whitney Third year undergraduate student in Computer Science at MIT") (01/08/89)

I appear to be in error. I had read that Kermit works on older //'s
because it *didn't* depend on ints. I expanded that to it *doesn't* use
ints at all. Sorry.

Dave Whitney	Third year undergraduate student in Computer Science at MIT
dcw@athena.mit.edu  ...!bloom-beacon!athena.mit.edu!dcw  dcw@goldilocks.mit.edu
I wrote Z-Link. Send me bug reports.           I use a //GS. Send me Tech Info.
"This is MIT. Collect and 3rd party calls will not be accepted at this number."

halp@TCGOULD.TN.CORNELL.EDU ("Bruce P. Halpern") (01/09/89)

The //c provides baud rates up to the full RS232c level, 19,600. A 2400
baud modem works just file.

****DISCLAMER: My comments, etc., are my own shakey opinions ********

  |  Bruce P. Halpern  Psychology & Neurobiology & Behavior Cornell Ithaca    |
  |  INTERNET:halp@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu  BITNET:D57J@CORNELLA  D57J@CRNLVAX5|
  |  UUCP:{vax135,rochester,decvax}!cornell!batcomputer!halp                  |
  |  PHONE: 607-255-6433    Uris Hall, Cornell U., Ithaca, NY 14853-7601      |