[comp.sys.apple] Data transfer

kirk@pro-gateway.cts.com (Kirk Kamberg) (01/02/89)

I am looking for a way to transfer data from my IIgs to my IIe. The problem is
that the file is bigger than 143k, so I can't just put it on a 5 1/4. I have a
AE Serial Pro for the IIe. Is there any way that I can just hook the two
serial ports together with a cable and have it work? (I have a hard drive on
the IIe, so the file should fit) If so, does it matter how long the cable is?
Thanks...

ProLine:kirk@pro-gateway.cts.com
The opinions expressed are mine alone...No one else will have them!

aash@ms.uky.edu (aashi deacon) (01/07/89)

In article <8901061057.AA19536@crash.cts.com> pnet01!pnet101!pro-ascii!pro-newfrontier!pro-gateway!kirk@nosc.mil writes:
>I am looking for a way to transfer data from my IIgs to my IIe. The problem is
>that the file is bigger than 143k, so I can't just put it on a 5 1/4. I have a
>AE Serial Pro for the IIe. Is there any way that I can just hook the two
>serial ports together with a cable and have it work? (I have a hard drive on
>the IIe, so the file should fit) If so, does it matter how long the cable is?
>Thanks...

I transferred data from an Atari ST to my Apple //c with Proterm using
a cable from serial port to serial port, but I have one problem (which
you may have if you do this way).  the copy buffer on the apple was only
20(something)K so now i have a bunch of chopped files that need to
be stuck together.  Anyone got a fun way to do this?  Or is there
a way to save to disk as things come in?  hm

--
aash
aash@ms.uky.edu

All things are relative.  It just takes a great mind to relate them.

jw009@unocss.UUCP (Bugs.BNY) (01/09/89)

In article <8901061057.AA19536@crash.cts.com>
pnet01!pnet101!pro-ascii!pro-newfrontier!pro-gateway!kirk@nosc.mil [whew!]
writes:
>I am looking for a way to transfer data from my IIgs to my IIe. The problem is
>that the file is bigger than 143k, so I can't just put it on a 5 1/4. I have a
>AE Serial Pro for the IIe. Is there any way that I can just hook the two
>serial ports together with a cable and have it work? (I have a hard drive on
>the IIe, so the file should fit) If so, does it matter how long the cable is?

	Why not just connect the hard drive to the IIgs long enough to copy
the file to it?

In article <10837@s.ms.uky.edu>, aash@ms.uky.edu (aashi deacon) sez:
> I transferred data from an Atari ST to my Apple //c with Proterm using
> a cable from serial port to serial port, but I have one problem (which
> you may have if you do this way).  the copy buffer on the apple was only
> 20(something)K so now i have a bunch of chopped files that need to
> be stuck together.  Anyone got a fun way to do this?  Or is there
> a way to save to disk as things come in?  hm

	Should be.  At the "segmented write" prompt of the OA-A (autosave)
option, choose "off" and it should come out as one big, happy file.  Or use
a protocol transfer (such as Xmodem).
	To glop together the ones you've already got, write a program that
BLOADs each 20K segment in succession and saves it onto the end of a single
file.  Like this:

10 Print CHR$(4)"CREATE BIGFILE,TTXT"
20 For X = 0 to [number of segmented files] -1
30 Print CHR$(4)"BLOAD FILENAME."X+1",TTXT,A8192"
40 Print CHR$(4)"BSAVE BIGFILE,TTXT,A8192,L20480,B" X*20480
50 Next

	That should work.  (I haven't actually used that code segment, so
don't yell at me if your screen goes blank and smokes starts coming out of the
ventilation holes.  But it looks OKay from here.)  If the last file isn't
exactly 20K (and it probably won't be), part of the next-to-last file will be
appended to the file.  There are, of course, ways around that, but if I told
you what they are, I would lose my title of Quick-and-Dirty Geek of the Week.

	Alternatively, if you have DaveX (plug, plug), you can do this:

	> bigfile;type filename=;del filename=

	Which is a whole lot simpler.  (Beware, though, if there are Ctrl-A
characters in there anywhere.  Regrettably, DaveX discards them without
warning.  That doesn't detract from the overall utility of DaveX, of course,
and it ranks right up there with ProSEL as a required item, but just so you
know.  [Sorry, Mr. Lyons.])

somebody@somewhere.somewhere.something

ERAN@BGUVM.BITNET (Eran Lachs) (01/09/89)

Listserver APPLE2-L at BROWNVM has the Davex shell and several external
commands to manipulate files. If I remember correctly they include combining,
splitting and searching files of all types.

Eran

shawn@pnet51.cts.com (Shawn Stanley) (01/11/89)

kirk@pro-gateway.cts.com (Kirk Kamberg) writes:
>I am looking for a way to transfer data from my IIgs to my IIe. The problem is
>that the file is bigger than 143k, so I can't just put it on a 5 1/4. I have a
>AE Serial Pro for the IIe. Is there any way that I can just hook the two
>serial ports together with a cable and have it work? (I have a hard drive on
>the IIe, so the file should fit) If so, does it matter how long the cable is?
>Thanks...

Yes, you can connect the two computers via the serial ports.  You'll need a
null-modem type interface between the two, which supplies the required signals
to "trick" the interfaces into thinking they're connected to an active
modem-type device.

The maximum length used for serial communications is generally 50 feet, but
with low-impedance cable we've gone up to 75 feet.

UUCP: {rosevax, crash}!orbit!pnet51!shawn
INET: shawn@pnet51.cts.com