[comp.sys.apple] concatenating files in Davex

>Date:         Mon, 9 Jan 89 08:46:03 GMT
>From:         "Bugs.BNY" <ssbell!mcmi!hdr!unocss!jw009@UUNET.UU.NET>
>Subject:      Re: Data transfer

>Alternatively, if you have DaveX (plug, plug), you can do this:

>    > bigfile;type filename=;del filename=

>Which is a whole lot simpler.  (Beware, though, if there are Ctrl-A
>characters in there anywhere.  Regrettably, DaveX discards them
>without warning.

From "help type":
----------
type -- display plain text file or AppleWorks (AWP) file

syntax:  type <pathname> [-h] [-f] [-u] [-l] [-p]

ex:      type this
         type ?:txt -h
         como that;type this -l

Types contents of a file (any type, not just TXT).  Wildcards are
allowed.  -h generates a headergiving the date/time the file was last
modified.  -f DISABLES filtering of control characters; normally they
are filtered out.

[there's more]
----------

It's not just Control A's that are filtered out by 'type' (everything
except Return [Ctrl-M] is filtered); on the other hand, I do _not_
guarantee that you can do an exact file concatenation by using
'como' ('>') to redirect the output of 'type'.  There may be an
extra Return appended at the beginning or end, and Linefeeds may
still be tampered with, even if you use '-f'.

I haven't checked on the exact behavior of type in these cases
because that's not what it was designed for; there are 'split' and
'combine' commands (written and contributed by Jeff Ding) that were
designed to do this stuff nicely.

>That doesn't detract from the overall utility of DaveX, of course,
>and it ranks right up there with ProSEL as a required item, but just
>so you know.  [Sorry, Mr. Lyons.])

No apologies necessary!  (Except, _possibly_, for using Davex without
registering it...your message seems to be intentionally anonymous,
and I can't find any names in my database resembling what appear to
be your initials ("jw") from your email address.)

--David A. Lyons              bitnet: awcttypa@uiamvs
  DAL Systems                 CompuServe:  72177,3233
  P.O. Box 287                GEnie mail:    D.LYONS2
  North Liberty, IA 52317     AppleLinkPE: Dave Lyons