[comp.sys.apple] enhanced IIe; SYNTAX ERRORs in EXEC files

>Date:         Tue, 10 Jan 89 09:43:00 EST
>From:         Roller Skating Maniac <ATKINSON@RUBY.VCU.EDU>
>Subject:      IIe questions

>My Apple IIe boots with the  Apple //e logo which I read means it is
>enhanced. BUT I can't run software that requires an enhanced IIe. So
>whats going on here?

There are 3 chips replaced when you upgrade from a IIe to an
enhanced IIe:  the ROM, the CPU (6502 replaces with 65C02), and the
character generator (new one has 32 MouseText characters).

Is it possible that you have the new ROM (explaining why you see
"Apple //e" rather than "Apple ][" when you boot), but not the 65C02?
It seems that the ROM would use the extra 65C02 instructions and
crash quickly, but I haven't looked at the IIe ROM lately & don't
have one here to check.

When you say "I can't run software that requires an enhanced IIe,"
what exactly do you mean?  What software doesn't work, and what does
it do instead of working (crash, hang, complain with a particular
error message, etc)?

Could the software require 128K?  (Is your 80-column card "extended"
with the second 64K?)

>last question: Are there other people having problem with exec'ing
>down- loads of Kermit 3.84? Between Softerm and our VAX something is
>giving me lousy downloads that only print syntax error messages on my
>Apple. I am using 8 bit/ no parity, and both straight text and Xmodem
>downloads are crapping out on me.

Sounds like the downloads are going perfectly but the VAX isn't
using a Ctrl-M (Return) to separate lines.  It's probably using just
a Linefeed (Ctrl-J) or a Return followed by a Linefeed.  For the
file to EXEC properly, it needs to have just Returns between the
lines.

There are probably a lot of utilities around designed to fix up
files like that one.  I'd use Davex, since I wrote it & use it all
the time.  The 'tr' command would be the easiest way to search for
and replace, for example, all ^m^j pairs with just ^m (or just
replace ^j with nothing).

Alternatively, if you don't have a utility handy on the Apple end,
you could use a utility on the Vax end to change the line separators
before downloading the file.  'grep' ought to do it if you're using
Unix; use it to replace \n with \015 (octal 15 = decimal 13 = Ctrl-M
= Return).

>send replies
>ATKINSON @ VCUVAX.BITNET, ATKINSON@RUBY.VCU.EDU
>Thanks,
>Luther

--David A. Lyons              bitnet: awcttypa@uiamvs
  DAL Systems                 CompuServe:  72177,3233
  P.O. Box 287                GEnie mail:    D.LYONS2
  North Liberty, IA 52317     AppleLinkPE: Dave Lyons