[comp.sys.apple] UUCP routes, Big Mem card, and my SCSI disk

kamath@reed.UUCP (Sean Kamath) (01/11/89)

In some article Murph Sewall writes:
>in another article, David Whitney writes:
>>Sorry to do this, but I just can't get thru to rat@madnix...
[included part of UUCP map entry.]

Hey, if we are going to start grubbing through the maps, why not do what I
do -- Roll my own paths!  I mean, they have connection entries!  Beware,
though, the map entried have *dates*, and they can be *out of date*. :-)

Now, about the big mem card.

I called up AE and Checkmate yesterday.  To tell you the truth, I was less
than enthused by the AE guy.  He was curtious, but curt.  Was somewhat less
than omniscient, and very bored (or so he sounded.)

Checkmate, on the otherhand, was very nice.

Now, I don't like to go badmouthing people with no hard facts, so I won't
say anymore about this:  Just the facts, ma'am.

Tops I can get on an AE card (Oh, this is strictly //e, mind you) is 1 meg.
Same for checkmates RGB card.  I can get both with 0K.  Prices are much the
same.

But:  I want a 65816 card as well.  So they both went running off to see if
they had shipped them off for scrap (;-) and it turns out the AE is $169!
THe checkmate one is only $89 ($80 direct. That doesn't make a lot of sense.
I guess he meant list price).

Fine.

How much for the memory card?  The most I can get on the AE card is 2 meg,
and on the checkmate I can get 4 meg.  Besides that, I have to buy the AE
card with 1meg minimum!  I ain't got $550 hanging around, though, and I can
get the checkmaite card with 256K, which, while not exactly what I want
(0K), is a lot easier at $355 or whatever.

Finally, I asked what they pulled fully loaded, and the AE guys said about
an Amp, and the Checkmate dude said about .7 Amps. Also, AE's only comes
with AppleWorks expansion software, which I don't give a hoot about.
Checkmate's comes with a Ram Disk for 3.3 (not that that's any use, but hey,
it's another disk for my collection! :-)

Everyone knows a lot about AE's card, and that they are manufactured in the
US and that they are great and no one can say enough good about them. But
what about CheckMate.  Anyone had any experience with them?  Good, bad, ugly?

I am getting a 40 meg SCSI drive (it's from a Tek box) soon (read when they
get NFS up under uTek), and I thank whoever for the SCSI formatter routine.
I'm going to have to resubscribe to Open-Apple (or whatever they are called
now).

I will write up a more detailed explanaition about how it goes then anything
I've seen to date, including any code, cable making instructions, and
anything else I hav to deal with.

boy, DCOM sure sounds wierd when it beeps with this interrupt patch I have
going.  I'll post it when I make sure it does some good, and when it's a
little less troublesome. and, yeah, I know, do an SEI before I call the bell
routine.  I sorta like the blorp sound it makes, though! :-)

Sean Kamath
still hangin' around.  I might actually graduate this semester! :-)
--
UUCP:  {decvax allegra ucbcad ucbvax hplabs}!tektronix!reed!kamath
CSNET: reed!kamath@Tektronix.CSNET  ||  BITNET: kamath@reed.BITNET