[comp.sys.apple] Manuals etc...//+,e,GS

ALBRO@NIEHS.BITNET (12/23/88)

There is a difference of opinion on here about whether or not "the buyers of
today" (of Apples) want to know more than which hole to stick the floppy in.
I think a lot of them do, other senders think the vast majority of them don't.
One simple way to get an objective answer is to ask the publisher of the
technical reference manuals how many of them have been sold so far.  Since they
are not sold with the computers, every sale must be to someone who wants to
know more than pap.  How about it - anybody have a contact at A-W they could
get this info from?

tsouth@pro-pac.cts.com (System Administrator) (01/11/89)

In article: <8812221538.aa17154@SMOKE.BRL.MIL> (ALBRO%NIEHS.BITNET) writes:

>There is a difference of opinion on here about whether or not "the buyers of
>today" (of Apples) want to know more than which hole to stick the floppy in.
>I think a lot of them do, other senders think the vast majority of them don't.
>One simple way to get an objective answer is to ask the publisher of the
>technical reference manuals how many of them have been sold so far. Since they
>are not sold with the computers, every sale must be to someone who wants to
>know more than pap.  How about it - anybody have a contact at A-W they could
>get this info from?

I really can't see how this would even be an accurate forum.  Number One:
You get the user manuals with your computer.  Number Two:  You have to
pay a MINIMUM of $25.95 for each of the new Apple manuals (and that is NOT
the average!).  Number Three: It took exactly ONE YEAR AND FOUR MONTHS for
the toolbox manuals to reach any store I know of in Hawaii, and there are
a couple of manuals which have not reached the stores here (and probably
will not due to inept [read ignorant] distributors claiming the books do
not even exist).  Please remember that NOT everyone is able to be on a
forum of this nature for various reasons, the least of which is financial
capabilities.  Seems ridiculous to initiate a study of whether there are
a significant amount of people purchasing a complete set of books which
run in the $300 figure for a complete set.

Todd South

--
UUCP: {nosc, cacilj, sdcsvax, hplabs!hp-sdd, sun.COM}
                        ...!crash!pnet01!pro-nsfmat!pro-pac!tsouth