[comp.sys.apple] AWGS

TMPLee@DOCKMASTER.ARPA (01/08/89)

Seeing as there does now seem to be someone (Scott Lindsey) reading this
who can knowledgebly answer questions about AWGS, let me try repeating
the question I've asked a couple times before and not had answered (as
best I remember).

I have an HP DeskJet printer.

a) is there any chance of AWGS supporting that printer?

b) if not, prsumably it will however drive it running in Epson emulation
mode (EVERYONE supports epson.)

c) in either case -- what kind of resolution is output printed at:  GS
screen resolution or the finest density the printer can support?  (e.g.,
if I were to use the AWGS graphics features to draw boxes, circles and
lines, etc., what resolution would those be printed at?)

d) if I am printing just ordinary text (whether mixed with graphics or
not) does that get printed out in graphics mode -- a la macintoshes --
or is AWGS smart enough to switch the printer back to text mode when it
is printing text in a font supported by (or close to one supported by)
teh printer?

(I know of at least one desktop program in the IBM world that is smart
enough to do that.)

TMPLee@Dockmaster.arpa

scott@claris.com (Scott Lindsey) (01/11/89)

From article <890107222556.311665@DOCKMASTER.ARPA>, by TMPLee@DOCKMASTER.ARPA:

> I have an HP DeskJet printer.
>
> a) is there any chance of AWGS supporting that printer?

Only if Apple chooses to support it.  AppleWorks GS as a program is ignorant
of printers.  It simply calls the Print Manager and lets the system software
do the rest.

> b) if not, prsumably it will however drive it running in Epson emulation
> mode (EVERYONE supports epson.)

Apple isn't EVERYONE.  Back when we were at StyleWare, Kevin Harvey wrote
(well, modified an ImageWriter driver into) an Epson driver and some card
(port) drivers to go with it.  It was somewhat successful, and Apple
licensed it (bought it, actually) from him.  That was under ProDOS 16, not
GS/OS and the newer tools.  Depending on the printer and card, some people
are able to use their Epson (compatibles).
There is talk of fixing the existing Epson driver and possibly supporting
other cards (writing other port drivers), but don't hold your breath.

> c) in either case -- what kind of resolution is output printed at:  GS
> screen resolution or the finest density the printer can support?  (e.g.,
> if I were to use the AWGS graphics features to draw boxes, circles and
> lines, etc., what resolution would those be printed at?)

I'm not terribly familiar with the Epson driver, so I couldn't be sure, but
judging from the LaserWriter driver & its output, you'd get approximately
screen resolution.

> d) if I am printing just ordinary text (whether mixed with graphics or
> not) does that get printed out in graphics mode -- a la macintoshes --
> or is AWGS smart enough to switch the printer back to text mode when it
> is printing text in a font supported by (or close to one supported by)
> teh printer?

AWGS isn't smart at all.  It doesn't know a thing about printers.  The print
manager isn't 'smart' in that respect either.  On the ImageWriter, the most
common printer in the Apple world, the native text mode is not as high a
quality as using bit-mapped fonts.  In other words, no.

Maybe this isn't what you wanted to hear, as it sounds like you haven't bought
AWGS, but are considering it.  I'd rather people know what the capabilities
of the program (and the system software) than be upset after the fact.

--
Scott Lindsey, wombat    | UUCP: {ames,apple,portal,sun,voder}!claris!scott
Product Development      | Internet:  scott@claris.com  |  AppleLink: LINDSEY1

prw@meccts.MECC.MN.ORG (Paul Wenker) (01/11/89)

In article <8010@claris.com> scott@claris.com (Scott Lindsey) writes:
>From article <890107222556.311665@DOCKMASTER.ARPA>, by TMPLee@DOCKMASTER.ARPA:
>> c) in either case -- what kind of resolution is output printed at:  GS
>> screen resolution or the finest density the printer can support?  (e.g.,
>> if I were to use the AWGS graphics features to draw boxes, circles and
>> lines, etc., what resolution would those be printed at?)
>
>I'm not terribly familiar with the Epson driver, so I couldn't be sure, but
>judging from the LaserWriter driver & its output, you'd get approximately
>screen resolution.

From Print Manager's and the application's point of view, the Epson
driver is identical to the ImageWriter driver.  The normal vertical
resolution for all three printers is 36 pixels/inch.  Setting the
vertical sizing to Intermediate will give you 54 pixels/inch.  Setting
the vertical sizing to Condensed will give you 72 pixels/inch.

The horizontal resolution for the ImageWriter/Epson driver is 40
pixels/inch (80 pixels/inch in 640 mode), while the resolution of the
LaserWriter driver is 42 pixels/inch (84 pixels/inch in 640 mode).

-Paul Wenker				prw@meccsd.MECC.MN.ORG
-MECC, Technical Services