[comp.sys.apple] Problems Unpacking Kermit 3.84

rob@cires.colorado.edu (Rob Cuthbertson) (01/10/89)

Well, I have been unable to reach cc.columbia.edu this past week, but I ftp'ed
a copy of ker384.x (1, 2, &3) from a site in Kentucky (thanx guys!) and
downloaded it to my Apple ][+ using AE Pro 4.3 (ProDOS).  I converted the files
to DOS 3.3 using CONVERT from the B side of the AE disk, and put them on a
data disk formatted from the Apple System Master disk.  When I try to EXEC the
first two files, I get as far as the "Checking to see that all file names are
spelled correctly and that there is enough space on the disk" message, and
then it hangs.  The disk drive is still spinning, and the head is moving back
and forth at about 1/4 second intervals.

Has anyone else seen this happen?  If so, did you manage to recover anything
from these files?  Any guesses as to WHY this happens?

Does anyone know when cc.columbia.edu will be reachable again?  (I haven't
done ANY looking around to see what the problem might be yet)

I don't care if you post answers or mail them to me, but if you know what is
going on, please answer somehow.

--Rob Cuthbertson
+-----                                                                  -----+
| [4mcires%rob@boulder.colorado.edu[m <--[4mOR[m--> [4m..!{ncar.nbires}!boulder!cires!rob[m |
| "I'm going to let you in on a   \/\/\/ little secret, Ray.  K-mart sucks." |
+-----                             \/\/                                 -----+

numccann@PLAINS.NODAK.EDU ("Lester I. McCann") (01/11/89)

Subject:      Problems Unpacking Kermit 3.84
Comments: To: info-apple@BRL.MIL
To: "Lester I. McCann" <NUMCCANN@plains.NoDak.edu>

|When I try to EXEC the
|first two files, I get as far as the "Checking to see that all file names are
|spelled correctly and that there is enough space on the disk" message, and
|then it hangs.  The disk drive is still spinning, and the head is moving back
|and forth at about 1/4 second intervals.
|
|Has anyone else seen this happen?  If so, did you manage to recover anything
|from these files?  Any guesses as to WHY this happens?

|--Rob Cuthbertson

I had the exact same problem over the weekend with version 3.85, and I had
the same problem when I tried 3.81 many months ago.  I have no idea why that
happens, and I have no idea how to work around it.  I, too, would appreciate
information on this.  Perhaps we need a new way to distribute kermit?

Lester McCann
numccann@plains.nodak.edu

ALBRO@NIEHS.BITNET (01/11/89)

This is related to the problem of EXECing the parts of Kermit 3.84 or
thereabouts.  I had no problem getting a working version of Kermits 3.75,
3.80 or 3.84, but only because I had worked out the frustrations on even
earlier versions.  First, the file names assigned to the text files are
different from those the "maker" program expects.  They must be changed.
Second, both files should be run through TEX to strip linefeeds before
trying to EXEC them.  The default disk should contain nothing except a
2-sector HELLO file and the two kermit text files. (DOS 3.3 of course).
There is a "header" on part one of the kermit text file that gives you
step by step instructions (such as to start execing at record number 25),
but you have to read it with a separate text editor.  All in all, the
way the split kermit "execable" files are set up has to be the most
inconvenient conceivable.

>earlier versions.  First, the file names assigned to the text files are
>different from those the "maker" program expects.  They must be changed.

Changed in version 3.85.  The EZ Install expects APP385.1 and APP385.2
(Of course practically any software lets you download text files with any
name you like -- or you just use the DOS 3.3 RENAME command).

>Second, both files should be run through TEX to strip linefeeds before
>trying to EXEC them.  The default disk should contain nothing except a
>2-sector HELLO file and the two kermit text files. (DOS 3.3 of course).

STANDARD (from the Woz factory :-) Apple 'T' or 'TXT' files don't waste
space storing superfluous LF's after CR's (that's Microsoft "showing off"
- 'cause MS-DOS disks have soooo much room *snicker*).  Apple DOS 3.3 'T'
files expect the 8th (high) bit to be set as well (I'm NOT sure whether
the EZ Install is sensitive to the 8th bit 'cause I've ALWAYS had it
set -- either I've used SOFTERM, which lets me set it as an option, or
Kermit (which takes care of it automatically  -- if you download with an
older Kermit, it'll also del LF after CR).

It doesn't matter if you have files on the disk besides the two EZ Install
files (so long as they don't take up so much room that there's not enough
space for the Install to do its thing), ===> BUT <=== the EZ Install does
seem sensitive to whether the files are stored in contiguous sectors, so
it DOES appear to help if the files are on a fresh disk.

>There is a "header" on part one of the kermit text file that gives you
>step by step instructions (such as to start execing at record number 25),
>but you have to read it with a separate text editor.  All in all, the
>way the split kermit "execable" files are set up has to be the most
>inconvenient conceivable.

Not so; FORCING you to MAIL a blank disk in a stamped, return addressed,
disk mailer would be more inconvenient :-)  Some would regard PURCHASING
commware as (ahem) inconvenient :-O

Remember, those EZ Install files go through all those EBCDIC-->ASCII and
vice-versa gateways and still work.  You can EXEC the program on a ][+,
a //e, a //e+, a //c, a IIgs, a Franklin (even the old not a //e but not
quite a ][+ either Franklin), a BASIS, Laser 128's and probably clones
I'm not aware of.  The other limitation is the size of files that can
be sent to (practically) everyone.  APP385.2 is 55,957 bytes, which
pushes the limits of acceptable "mail" on some systems (some are limited
to 20K bytes or less - alas mailing software to those places isn't
very practical).

Murph Sewall                       Vaporware? ---> [Gary Larson returns 1/1/90]
Prof. of Marketing     Sewall@UConnVM.BITNET
Business School        sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu          [INTERNET]
U of Connecticut       {psuvax1 or mcvax }!UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL     [UUCP]

-+- I don't speak for my employer, though I frequently wish that I could

According to the American Facsimile Association, more than half the calls
from Japan to the U.S. are fax calls.  FAX it to me at: 1-203-486-5246

>This is an addendum to my earlier comments on unpacking KERMIT 3.84/3.85, and
>on Murph Sewall's reply.  Apple does not store line feeds after carriage
>returns
>in its text files, but it doesn't remove them if they are already there either!
The point is, because the LF's are NOT standard for Apple text files, the ONLY
way they get there is if they are IMPORTED from somewhere else (usually
by XModem or ASCII capture).

If you can get rid of them with TEX on the VAX, do so.  You'll only have to
do that ONCE (to create a working Kermit-65).  UNLIKE XModem, Kermit KNOWS
that most of the World uses CR-LF while Apple uses only CR :-).  Actually,
the Kermit on EACH END knows what the appropriate text format is for the
system it's on (one of the reasons for differentiating between 'text' and
'binary' file transfers).  If you download with Kermit, it will make the
LF's go away AND set the 8th bit correctly for the operating system it's
running under.

XModem is strictly "what you see is what you get" while Kermit is transparent
only for 'binary' file transfers.