[comp.sys.apple] ACOS connecting

sysop@pro-generic.UUCP (Matthew Montano) (01/14/89)

  MDavis (mdavis@pro-sol.cts.com) writes:

>If you do make a reliable connection to the GBBS domain *YOU* will be held
>responsible for any and all problems that are caused in that chain of
>connectivity, just as *I* am responsible for any problems arising from the
>ProLine network.

  Of course I am responsible for the techinical side of matters. If there is
lost mail, or botched files moving through the system, it is *MY*
resposibility to see that this never happens, and fix it if in the unlikely
occurence that it does. But since this software will be released into the
public domain, I have no notion of being sysop for all these sites. I will be
including all appropriate net files, i.e. posting rules, signatures, do's and
don'ts etc. If you could look at my hard drive you would see all these files
that I have collected all ready to go. What I can't be held responsible for is
a sysop who attempts to network in and doesn't follow the rules. I am not
liable for people like, just like LLS is not liable for any damages arrousing
from ProLine. BUT I have the best interest of the net in mind, I am sure that
the site he is choosing to connect with will refuse to connect with him
any longer. I would definetly attempt to correct a wrong into a right. But
just because the UUCP programs reside on a hard drive, the author is not
responsible for making sure that he uses them correctly. The people in charge
of the network make sure that he is using it correctly, and will attempt to
educate him.

  I of course would ask a site be removed from the network if it was causing
trouble, much like Mdavis or BBlue would do so for a pnet or proline site.

>GBBS Pro users, as a whole, do not have the reputation that netters respect.

You sure bet! In most cases they aren't educated, the fact that they are
running GBBS Pro indicates this. But there are others who are dedicated to
GBBS and it's ACOS language and they will never change. I know I look down on
these people, but there are some intelligent sysops with good systems, and
they deserve to be a part of this wonderful concept. It mind as well happen
now, cause Lance's MultiLink is due to be released this summer!

> Realize that allowing your network to connect with ProLine is a gift.

 I wouldn't like to call it a gift, a favor may be a better word. I know there
has been some interest in connecting other than proline systems to a proline
system for a long time. All these files going around about the specs on MDSS
and the mail format, there was bound to be some interested person, I guess
that was me.

I am not sure what type of gift it will be, until it is up and working...

Matthew Montano --
ProLine: sysop@pro-generic        |ARPA:crash!pnet01!pro-generic!sysop
InterNet:sysop@pro-generic.cts.com|UUCP: hplabs!crash!pnet01!pro-generic!root