[comp.sys.apple] testing all 3 parts of IIe enhancement

>Date:         Wed, 11 Jan 89 09:09:00 EST
>From:         Roller Skating Maniac <ATKINSON@RUBY.VCU.EDU>
>Subject:      apple II questions

>The //e enhanced question.  Software that requires an Enhanced iie
>tell me that I don't have a 65C02. So is there any danger involved if
>I tear out my 6502 and replace it? Is there a rom test I can do to
>find out what version I am running?

So far I'm pretty stumped.  Try checking the following
identification bytes in ROM and let me know what you get.

From BASIC (]), type CALL-151 to get into the monitor (*).
Type FBB3 (return) and you should get 06.  Type FBC0 and you should
get E0 if your IIe is enhanced, and EA if it isn't.  Also, FBBF
should get you C1 for unenhanced and 00 for enhanced.

Also from the monitor, type

300:A9 00 1A 00
300G

You should get a register dump; I just need to know the value after
"A=".  It should be 00 if you have a 6502 and 01 if you have a
65C02.

Finally, check to see if the MouseText characters are available in
your machine (they should be if your IIe is enhanced).  Clear the
screen by hitting ESC-@ (to avoid scrolling for these next couple of
commands) and type:

C00F:40
400:40

If you see a closed-apple symbol in the top left of your screen, you
have MouseText.  Otherwise you should see a flashing "@".

>Atkinson@vcuvax
>Luther

--David A. Lyons              bitnet: awcttypa@uiamvs
  DAL Systems                 CompuServe:  72177,3233
  P.O. Box 287                GEnie mail:    D.LYONS2
  North Liberty, IA 52317     AppleLinkPE: Dave Lyons