[comp.sys.apple] An Apple to look at.

CS656@OUACCVMB.BITNET (01/15/89)

>I am looking to buy an Apple or Apple-clone system for the primary
>purpose of being able to have on hand at home the ability to run
>the same 'educational' software for my kids that they use in the
>schools.  Also, just to have fun and have them learn about computing,
>etc.
Take a look at the //c+. I have seen the color system being sold for less
than $800. By combining the simplicity and convenience of the //c with
the advantages of the 800k drive and 4 mgz clock it could be the most
significant step that Apple has taken for a while.
I would recommend upgrading the memory with an Applied Engineering card
but other than that it's a very complete package. I just wish they hadn't
moved the power supply inboard. I prefer my arrangement, where the power
supply warms the space beneath my desk rather than my cpu.

Bob Church
CS656@OUACCVMB.BITNET
gatech!att!oucsace!bchurch

>>I am looking to buy an Apple or Apple-clone system for the primary
>>purpose of being able to have on hand at home the ability to run
>>the same 'educational' software for my kids that they use in the
>>schools.  Also, just to have fun and have them learn about computing,
>>etc.
>Take a look at the //c+. I have seen the color system being sold for less
>than $800. By combining the simplicity and convenience of the //c with
>the advantages of the 800k drive and 4 mgz clock it could be the most
>significant step that Apple has taken for a while.

Don't lose site of the PURPOSE!  IF the idea is to be able to run software
being used in the schools, then it probably will be NECESSARY to have
a 5.25 drive in S6,D1 (a LOT of the school software pre-dates the 3.5 inch
drive AND is copy protected; it won't run any other way).

The 3.5 inch drive is a worthwhile investment, but I'd recommend it for
the secondary drive given the stated objective of acquiring the system
in the first place.

Murph Sewall                       Vaporware? ---> [Gary Larson returns 1/1/90]
Prof. of Marketing     Sewall@UConnVM.BITNET
Business School        sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu          [INTERNET]
U of Connecticut       {psuvax1 or mcvax }!UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL     [UUCP]

-+- I don't speak for my employer, though I frequently wish that I could

According to the American Facsimile Association, more than half the calls
from Japan to the U.S. are fax calls.  FAX it to me at: 1-203-486-5246

aash@ms.uky.edu (aashi deacon) (01/16/89)

In article <8901150001.aa05996@SMOKE.BRL.MIL> CS656@OUACCVMB.BITNET writes:
>>I am looking to buy an Apple or Apple-clone system for the primary
>>purpose of being able to have on hand at home the ability to run
>>the same 'educational' software for my kids that they use in the
>>schools.  Also, just to have fun and have them learn about computing,
>>etc.
>Take a look at the //c+. I have seen the color system being sold for less
>than $800. By combining the simplicity and convenience of the //c with

Our local dealer just had an incredible deal on the //c+.  They were
selling them for about $499 for the CPU (3.5" disk) and for only slightly
more with an external 5.25" disk and color monitor.

Shop around!
(This is not a paid advertisement.  hehe)

--
aash
aash@ms.uky.edu  (archive at 128.163.128.6)