[comp.sys.apple] APPLE ][ C rear D-connector

hts@etana.tut.fi (Harri Siirtola) (01/14/89)

  Does anyone know the pins of that 15-pin D-connector in the rear panel
of ][ C? The problem is, I got a NTSC/PAL converter (made for ][C) and
I'd like to get colors on my ][+ with it. It should provide all the
necessary signals but I don't know how to connect them.

  Thanks,
	hts

matthew@sunpix.UUCP ( Sun NCAA) (01/16/89)

In article <5768@etana.tut.fi>, hts@etana.tut.fi (Harri Siirtola) writes:

>   Does anyone know the pins of that 15-pin D-connector in the rear panel
> of ][ C? The problem is, I got a NTSC/PAL converter (made for ][C) and
> I'd like to get colors on my ][+ with it. It should provide all the
> necessary signals but I don't know how to connect them.
>
>   Thanks,
> 	hts

    From quick look at the specs in my copy of the Apple //c tech reference
manual, it looks like you would want to connect Pin 13 to a ground connection,
Pin 8 to a +12vdc power source, and Pin 12 to video out (all three are provided
on a set of pins near the Apple ][+ game connector. A short adapter cable
should get you going.)

    Anyway, Here's what you asked for:

                  -----------------------------------
                  \  8   7   6   5   4   3   2   1  /
                   \ *   *   *   *   *   *   *   * /
                    \  15  14  13  12  11  10  9  /
                     \ *   *   *   *   *   *   * /
                      ---------------------------

      Pin        Signal    Derived       Description
        1        TEXT      CLK 0         Video text signal from TMG;
                                         set to inverse of GR, except
                                         in double-high-resolution mode.

        2        14M                     14 Mhz master timing signal from
                                         the system oscillator.

        3        Sync*     Q3            Display horizontal and vertical
                                         syncronization signal from IOU
                                         pin 39.

        4        Segb      PRAS          Display vertical counter bit from
                                         IOU pin4; in text mode indicates
                                         second low-order vertical counter;
                                         in graphics mode, indicates
                                         low-resolution.

        5        1VSound                 One-volt sound signal from pin 5 of
                                         the audio hybrid circuit (AUD).

        6        LDPS*     14M           Video shift register load enable
                                         from pin 12 of TMG.

        7        WNDW*     PRAS          Active area display blanking;
                                         includes both horizontal and
                                         vertical blanking.

        8        +12v                    Regulated +12 volts DC.; can
                                         drive 350 mA.

        9        PRAS*     14M           RAM row-address strobe from
                                         TMG pin 19.

       10        GR        PRAS          Graphics mode enable from IOU pin 2.

       11        SEROUT*   14M           Serialized character-generator
                                         output from pin 1 of 74LS166
                                         shift-register.

       12        NTSC                    Composite NTSC video signal
                                         from VID hybrid chip.

       13        GND                     Ground reference and supply.

       14        VIDD7     CLK 0         From 74LS374 video latch; causes
                                         half-dot shift if high.

       15        CREF      14M           Color reference signal from TMG
                                         pin 3; 3.58 MHz.

--
Matthew Lee Stier     (919) 469-8300|
Sun Microsystems ---  RTP, NC  27560|          "Wisconsin   Escapee"