[comp.sys.apple] Ram Expansion for IIgs

tenbarge@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (01/16/89)

I recently received an apple IIgs with 512k, but would already like more memory
Can someone tell me what kind of memory chips I can buy to install in the Ram
Expansion Card which came with the cpu?

-thanks, Kris Tenbarge

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn ) (01/16/89)

In article <10500002@silver> tenbarge@silver.bacs.indiana.edu writes:
>I recently received an apple IIgs with 512k, but would already like more memory
>Can someone tell me what kind of memory chips I can buy to install in the Ram
>Expansion Card which came with the cpu?

I would recommend planning ahead; presumably you have Apple's RAM
card, which is limited to 1M bytes max (beyond the 256K bytes in
the motherboard).  There is already commercial software that needs
all that memory and sometimes more.  My experience has been that
2M bytes of expansion RAM is enough for almost all foreseeable
purposes, and that 1M bytes is not enough.  There are several
manufacturers of IIGS expansion memory cards; I'm using MDIdeas
OctoRAM, which differs from the others in utilizing SIMMs (such as
used by Macintoshes) and is expandable to the IIGS theoretical
limit of 8M bytes (using 1M bit SIMMs instead of the 256K SIMMs).
You can find other RAM card vendors advertising in magazines such
as Nibble.  For example, on the inside cover of the latest Nibble,
Applied Engineering advertised their GS-RAM products.  They also
mention something worth knowing about, namely DMA compatibility.
Some Apple II peripherals, including I think AST's VisionPlus
video digitizer, utilize Direct Memory Access to transfer data.
Due to lack of information out of Apple, most of the earlier
GS RAM cards did not address the proper locations when DMA was
in effect.  (BY THE WAY: Does anyone know whether MDI OctoRAM
had this problem and how to upgrade if so?)  Unless you're sure
you will never use a DMA peripheral (and how could you be sure?),
you should get a DMA-compatible card.  (I think Apple's was OK.)

There are also built-in or optional features on many third-party
RAM cards, such as battery backup, ROM space, and memory
diagnostic software.  Some people like to keep programs in RAM
disk, and for such users the battery backup option is valuable.

I think there was a review of IIGS RAM expansion cards a while
back in Nibble or A+, maybe both.