[comp.sys.apple] Apple II GS Memory Problems

ees@antique.UUCP (Gene Sampieri) (01/11/89)

I am trying to upgrade a Apple II GS memory expansion card from the normal
256k to a full 1 meg (for a machine total of 1.25).  The chips on the board
are TI TMS4256, and the ones I am using are NEC 41256 or Toshiba 41256.
According to the data books these are identical. All are 150ns devices.
The system will not boot up when they are installed and the jumpers in
place. The control panel willl come up properly and does indicate that there
is 1.25 meg total memory. I suspect only the jumpers are being read in this
case and the memory is not being tested.

Am I doing anything wrong??  Is there something the books that come with the
machine (system and memory books) are not telling me??

HELP

Gene Sampieri
AT&T Bell Labs
Holmdel N.J.
vax135!ees

rkh@mtune.ATT.COM (Robert Halloran) (01/12/89)

In article <2501@antique.UUCP> ees@antique.UUCP (Gene Sampieri) writes:
>I am trying to upgrade a Apple II GS memory expansion card from the normal
>256k to a full 1 meg (for a machine total of 1.25).  The chips on the board
>are TI TMS4256, and the ones I am using are NEC 41256 or Toshiba 41256.

Looks as if the canonical list of RAS-before-CAS DRAMs needs to be posted
again.  Could someone with better memory/archives than me post it again?
I know it saved me MUCH grief when I upgraded; it looks as if the next
wave of owners needs that help again.

						Bob Halloran
UUCP: att!mtune!rkh				Internet: rkh@mtune.ATT.COM
USPS: 17 Lakeland Dr, Port Monmouth NJ 07758	DDD: 201-495-6621 eve ET
Disclaimer: If you think AT&T would have ME as a spokesman, you're crazed.
Quote: "May: In Baton Rouge, the Rev. Jimmy Swaggart, announcing that he has
	been forgiven by the Lord, returns to his pulpit, where he receives
	a warm reception from 300 billion locusts."
		- Dave Barry's 1988 Year-In-Review

ALBRO@NIEHS.BITNET (01/13/89)

Suppliers of CAS before RAS 256K memory chips for the IIgs:

Hitachi  HM50256-15
Mitsubishi  M5M4256P-15
Fujitsu  MB81256-15
OKI  MSM41256A-15AS/RS
Micron Technologies  MT1259-15
Samsung  KM41257-15
Toshiba  TMM41257-15
Texas Instruments  TMS4256-15

but you should still SPECIFY CAS before RAS when you order.  This list
is from AE, so there may be some additional sources.

Ronald_Sampson.HENR801c@XEROX.COM (01/18/89)

Gene,
I have found a number of things about the Apple II GS and the memory
expansion board.
1.	the 41256 -150 chips must have CAS before RAS during the refresh cycle.
This means the Column Address Strobe is refreshed before the Row Address
Strobe.
2.	The NEC chips, though designed to be CAS before RAS, had a batch that
were manufactured incorrectly.  These chips were manufactured in the UK and
Japan unforturnately I don't have the information that can cull out the bad
ones made at these locations.  However your local service center should
have the information.

Finally, I am having the same problem.  I am using Samsung chips designated
KM41256AP 15, KOREA 832.  I called Apple  and they said they had approved
these chips along with the KM41257 for use in Apple products.  I called
Samsung and these chips also have the CAS before RAS function.  However the
chips still don't work in the computer.   My assumption is that Samsung has
manufactured a defective batch.

That is the situation as it stands today.

ronald