[comp.sys.apple] hardware

POLKOSNI@QCVAX.BITNET (01/16/89)

I am interested in doing some hardware projects with my enhanced Apple //e...is
there anyone around who has had experience with the innards of a //e and can
offer some suggestions? Maybe some DtoA conversion, AtoD conversion, maybe
plans for homemade cards, interfacing with another microprocessor, anything
interesting in general.

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn ) (01/16/89)

In article <8901152335.aa11657@SMOKE.BRL.MIL> POLKOSNI@QCVAX.BITNET writes:
>I am interested in doing some hardware projects with my enhanced Apple //e...is
>there anyone around who has had experience with the innards of a //e and can
>offer some suggestions? Maybe some DtoA conversion, AtoD conversion, maybe
>plans for homemade cards, interfacing with another microprocessor, anything
>interesting in general.

Your best bet is to look in really OLD computer hobbyist magazines
(pre-"A+").  Of course the technical reference manual for your Apple
would be valuable insofar as determining what all the signals are,
and what the peripheral slot addressing conventions are.

I don't know if it's still available (probably not, now that Apple
is "corporate"), but Apple used to sell a "Hobby/Prototyping Board"
(Product Code A2B0001X) that was useful for wiring your own
peripheral interfaces.  The documentation accompanying the board
explains the slot signals and I/O programming conventions, although
there are some newer additional conventions (found in various Apple
Technical Notes) that should also be followed for maximum utility.

A (British, I think, maybe "BSR") company used to, and perhaps still
does, market interfaces and remote sensors and controllers under the
designation "X10".  Real handy for automating your house..

shaver@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu (Dave Shaver) (01/18/89)

>POLKOSNI@QCVAX.BITNET writes:
>I am interested in doing some hardware projects
>[...] anything interesting in general.

I highly recommend this book:

	Understanding the Apple II
	by Jim Sather
	IBSN: 0-912985-01-1

Published by:

	Quality Software
	21601 Marilla St
	Chatsworth, CA

Lots of good hardware explaination and some projects. There is also a
book by the same author called "Understanding the Apple //e".
Also published by QS.

/\  Dave Shaver  -=*=-  CS Systems Support Group, Iowa State University
\\  UUCP:  hplabs!hp-lsd!atanasoff!shaver
\/  Internet: shaver@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu