[comp.sys.apple] GS cross development

>Date:         Tue, 17 Jan 89 10:48:00 CDT
>From:         MSER001%ECNCDC.BITNET@UICVM.UIC.EDU
>Subject:      RAMS

>[...] APW is way to slow to use with or without good ram chips, use
>the mac MPW //gs c compiler, its faster!

APW _C_ is slow, particularly if you #include a lot of .h files, but
APW itslef is not slow.  The Linker is slow, but you can use the
ORCA linker instead, which is faster (and will become faster still
in the future).

Certainly MPW IIgs C is faster, but I personally have little
interest in buying a Mac to write software for my GS.  If I wanted
to develop stuff for a machine that had too little memory to make
anything other than cross-development practical, that would be a
different story, but my GS has 1280K and a 20 Meg hard drive, and
most of the slowness is software's fault.

What's the _real_ solution?  Force the people responsible for APW C
and other slow software to _use_ it!  That should be enough
incentive to get them to speed it up dramatically.  _After_ they've
got the native development stuff up to decent speed, _then_ I have
no objection to developing cross-development software, but as it is
now the MPW IIgs tools are _reducing_ the pressure to speed up the
native development software.  Ugh.

>srh
>Macomb, Illinois

--David A. Lyons              bitnet: awcttypa@uiamvs
  DAL Systems                 CompuServe:  72177,3233
  P.O. Box 287                GEnie mail:    D.LYONS2
  North Liberty, IA 52317     AppleLinkPE: Dave Lyons