[comp.sys.apple] GS border color flashing

>Date:         Tue, 17 Jan 89 15:13:00 EST
>From:         TMPLee@DOCKMASTER.ARPA
>Subject:      flashing bell

>Does anyone know what part of GS/OS it is that inserted the
>flashing-screen-on-zero-volume-beep feature?  If its one of the
>toolsets, would it work to include that particular toolset in a
>ProD[OS] (System Disk 3.1) configuration?

Yes.  (Did you want an answer to that part? :)

On System Disk 4.0, the *:system:system.setup:tool.setup file loads
the ts2 file, which contains lots of ROM patches.  One of these is
the thing thatmakes the border flash during a beep if the volume is
set to zero.  It works by replacing the standard bell vector at
$E1006C (note--the address is not guaranteed; the legitimate way to
change it is using GetVector and SetVector with reference number
$1B.

I would be very surprised if your system worked okay if you copied
the tool.setup and ts2 files onto System Disk 3.1.  It would be much
better to just switch to using System Disk 4.0 if at all possible.

On the other hand, I think there _is_ a public domain setup file
that will make your border flash for a beep (regardless of the
volume setting).

>TMPLee@dockmaster.arpa

--David A. Lyons              bitnet: awcttypa@uiamvs
  DAL Systems                 CompuServe:  72177,3233
  P.O. Box 287                GEnie mail:    D.LYONS2
  North Liberty, IA 52317     AppleLinkPE: Dave Lyons