[net.movies] Question that's been bugging me

Stukenborg.ES@XEROX.ARPA (07/13/84)

A stupid question that's been bugging me...

What was the name of the character George C. Scott played in "Dr. Strangelove"?

It's something like General Buck something-or-other.

--Steve

Alazar.ES@XEROX.ARPA (07/13/84)

In answer to your question, in "Dr. Strangelove" George C. Scott played
General Buck Turgidson, USAF.

The title role, the role of President Mertin Muffly, and the role of
Wing Captain Lionel Mandrake, RAF, NATO-exchage executive officer to
General Jack D. Ripper (Sterling Hayden) at Burpleson Air Force Base,
were played by Peter Sellers in his finest performance(s).  Slim Pickens
did his best work as Major "King" Kong.  This much everybody knows.

What I can't remember is (1) what was the last name of the Peter Bull
character Alexei, the ambassador of Soviet Premier Dmitri Kissov? and
(2) who played Colonel Bat Guano, USA?

Stukenborg.ES@XEROX.ARPA (07/13/84)

Don't know the answer to (1), but I believe that Col. Bat Guano (O.K,
but you'll have to answer to the Coca-Cola company) was played by (I
can't spell it) Keenen Wynn.

--Steve S.

Jellinek.pa@XEROX.ARPA (07/13/84)

Actually, the President's name was Merkin Muffly -- a pun.

	Herb

lauren@vortex.UUCP (Lauren Weinstein) (07/17/84)

Oh c'mon people!  There was no actual "Bat Guano" in Strangelove.  That
was just a name that Peter Sellers used out of anger during the
"shoot the coca-cola machine" scene.  His actual line was something
like:

"... see here Bat Guano or whatever your name is ..."

In other words, Sellers was making fun of the guy's name, which
wasn't actually "Bat Guano".

As for Buck ... his name was General "Buck" Turgeson.

--Lauren--

howes@unc.UUCP (Byron Howes ) (07/17/84)

Either I am hallucinating or I have my once-in-a-lifetime chance to
correct Lauren.  "Bat Guano" as listed in the credits, was played
by Keenan Wynn.  Perhaps this was not the character's actual name,
but it is how it is listed.
--

					   Byron Howes
					UNC - Chapel Hill

jdb@qubix.UUCP (Jeff Bulf) (07/18/84)

> From: Stukenborg.ES@XEROX.ARPA
> What was the name of the character George C. Scott played
> in "Dr. Strangelove"?
> It's something like General Buck something-or-other.

Amusing names form Dr. Strangelove (strictly from memory, don't bet money)

George C Scott 		General Buck Turgidson (soft "g" as in "turgid")
Sterling Hayden		General Jack D. Ripper
Slim Pickens		Major "King" Kong (the bomber pilot)
Keenan Wynn		Col. "Bat" Guano
Peter Sellers		President Merkin Muffley (sp?)
			Doctor Strangelove
			Capt. Mandrake
"I'll git them bomb doors open if it hairlips everbody on Bear Crick"
--
	Dr Memory
	...{decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!decwrl!qubix!jdb

jdb@qubix.UUCP (Jeff Bulf) (07/19/84)

The line Lauren quotes ("...Colonel "Bat" Guano, if that really is your
name...") is there. But I recall the "bat" in quotes on Wynn's uniform in the
same scene moments before. The top of the breast pocket.

    Memory DOES have a way of playing tricks over the years. As I said in my
earlier posting, check this stuff out before you bet money on it.

    Lauren can you settle this one for us by investigation? Ie does your
remarkable film library include Dr. Strangelove, and can you spare the time to
check this trivia out for us?
--
	Dr Memory
	...{decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!decwrl!qubix!jdb

gordon@uw-june (Gordon Davisson) (07/19/84)

I just checked my tape of "Dr. Strangelove", and while the
picture has degenerated over many viewings to the point that
the soldier in question's name was just a blur on the uniform,
Peter Sellers very noticeably squints at his jacket just before
speaking his name.  Also, he is not speaking in a sarcastic
vein when saying that line, which by the way is "Now look,
colonel (pause and squint) Bat Guano, if that really is your
name..."  I also am fairly certain that when the tape was new,
his name tag did in fact say "COL. BAT GUANO".  There, that's
my two cents.

   --Jamie Green--

steven@ism70.UUCP (07/27/84)

#R:sri-arpa:-194600:ism70:13100028:000:409
ism70!steven    Jul 19 08:13:00 1984

Opinion from Lotusland:

Own the film on videocassette (strictly for non-commercial exhibition in a
private home, of course), and Sellers indeed says

				MANDRAKE
			... Colonel "Bat" Guano, if
			that really is your name ...

as he speaks to Keenan Wynn. But that's because Sellers, who drops his
gaze briefly as he speaks, is looking at Guano's nametag on his tunic.
It really _i_s the character's name.