[comp.sys.apple] GS RAM expansion and border flasher

>Date:         Tue, 17 Jan 89 23:12:07 GMT
>From:         Kareth <mentor.cc.purdue.edu!asd@PURDUE.EDU>
>Subject:      DMA (was Re: Ram Expansion for IIgs)

>[...] One interesting note:  the GSOS flasher (when you change sound
>levels, the border flashes) seems also to indicate memory problems in
>the ramdisk menu. When I'd recently upgrade my OctoRAM, I failed to
>get the SIMM chips fully socketed and was having problems booting
>GSOS.  When I was changing the size of the ramdisk, I kept getting
>the flasher.  Once I figured out the problem and fixed it, no
>flasher.  Keith, is this a bug/feature or what?

The "GS/OS flasher" (which is also included in System Disk 3.2)
works like this:  Whenever a Beep occurs, the border flashes _if_
(and _only_ if) the volume is set to zero.  Really.  I just tried
it.

If you leave the volume at zero (all the way to the left) and then
play with the _pitch_, the border will flash every time you change
it because the Control Panel is actually beeping at you every time
you change the pitch.  With a nonzero volume, this lets you hear the
pitches so you can choose one you like.  (Except they all sound the
same if you're using a SysBeep utility that plays a digitized
sound!)

I don't know of any conditions where the RAMdisk part of the control
panel will beep at you, except if you hit a bad key, but it sounds
like it _was_ beeping at you.

>kareth.

--David A. Lyons              bitnet: awcttypa@uiamvs
  DAL Systems                 CompuServe:  72177,3233
  P.O. Box 287                GEnie mail:    D.LYONS2
  North Liberty, IA 52317     AppleLinkPE: Dave Lyons