[comp.sys.apple] Apple II and MY Vision

bsherm@umbio.MIAMI.EDU (Bob Sherman) (01/18/89)

Subject: Re: a Question & a Vision
Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple

in article <24092@apple.Apple.COM>, keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) says:

> In article <1260@umbio.MIAMI.EDU> bsherm@umbio.MIAMI.EDU (Bob Sherman) write!

Keith, I think you missed something in my message. I did not say that
Apple was not there, after all, I attended most of the tech forums, and
you and I spent time talking..

What I did say was that nowhere at the last Applefest was the "Apple II
forever" saying used, printed, or spoken publicly by Apple personell..

Also D.A.L. (Dave Lyons) in his reply mentioned that even though Apple
has dropped their support of their GSBASIC, that ORCA and TML provide
good basic languages of their own for the GS.. How true, they sure do,
but watch out, within the next few months you will see one of them
jumping feet first out of the Apple II arena and into the MAC only
arena.. The first hint will come when they renounce their online
support for Apple II products, followed slowly by no more Apple II
support...

That will make it TWO DOWN and one to go dropping Apple II support on
GS programming languages... Call it another "vision" if you wish, but
watch it happen...

Add to all of this, the story this week in MACWEEK Magazine and tell me
what the writing on your wall says..

--
  Internet  -- bsherm%umbio@umigw.miami.edu
  UUCP      -- {uunet!gould}!umbio!bsherm

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn ) (01/19/89)

In article <1274@umbio.MIAMI.EDU> bsherm@umbio.MIAMI.EDU (Bob Sherman) writes:
>but watch out, within the next few months you will see one of them
>jumping feet first out of the Apple II arena and into the MAC only
>arena..

I sure hope that's TML, who isn't following Apple guidelines anyway,
who drops out, and not Byteworks (ORCA), which is really the main APW
force.

demarco@cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Vince Demarco) (01/19/89)

Has anyone been able to get Zlink on comp.binaries.apple2 to unpack
I tryed several times and it didn't work.

I exec'd the file and then ram BLU on the resulting file and BLU came back
and told me that the file was not a binary II file.  If Zlink is bad how
about someone uploads a new copy??

Vince DeMarco

>Has anyone been able to get Zlink on comp.binaries.apple2 to unpack
>I tryed several times and it didn't work.

Yep.  Worked the first time - no sweat.

>I exec'd the file and then ram BLU on the resulting file and BLU came back
>and told me that the file was not a binary II file.  If Zlink is bad how
>about someone uploads a new copy??

Z.Link went from APPLE2-L to comp.binaries.apple2.  There are TWO <---
count 'em - 2 - files *AND* they MUST be EXEC'd in the correct order
(part 1 first, for you logic phreaks :-)

Part 2 has some extra BLOAD and BSAVE lines at the end which are CRITICAL
to getting the two binaries pieced together into one bunny file.
I got a "SYNTAX ERROR" before the last BSAVE which I think was a reaction
to the E00G line (usually that envokes a routine which writes the directory
entry, but the way Dave put the file together, it apparenltly doesn't matter).

You should get a file named: Z.LINK.BNY

After what happened with (to?) Z.LINK+ (the one someone decided to load
a virus onto), I'd be leery of a Z.LINK I didn't KNOW came from Dave
Whitney.  Sooo.... if you've problems getting Z.LINK unpacked, I'd
recommend you deal direct with Dave Whitney <dcw@goldilocks.mit.edu>
(that's the email address in the docs).

An even more sure-fire way to get a nice clean working Z.LINK (and Dave's
dedicated personal service ;-) is to mail a $25 check with your name
and address to:

Dave Whitney
450 Memorial Drive
Cambridge, MA 02139

(help put a fine young American through and EXPENSIVE *whew* college!)

Murph Sewall                       Vaporware? ---> [Gary Larson returns 1/1/90]
Prof. of Marketing     Sewall@UConnVM.BITNET
Business School        sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu          [INTERNET]
U of Connecticut       {psuvax1 or mcvax }!UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL     [UUCP]

-+- I don't speak for my employer, though I frequently wish that I could

According to the American Facsimile Association, more than half the calls
from Japan to the U.S. are fax calls.  FAX it to me at: 1-203-486-5246

ALBRO@NIEHS.BITNET (01/23/89)

This is mainly to Vince DeMarco, who is having trouble getting the latest vsn
of Z.LINK to exec/unpack.  I think the original posting had a glitch, so there
was a new one (APPLE2-L 89-00something, two files).  Once again, you have to
strip line feeds before the Apple will EXEC it correctly.  My version works
fine as long as ProDOS-16 has never been run.  If you boot from an ordinary
ProDOS-8 disk it works (on a IIgs; no problems on a IIe).  I use a utility
I wrote to find the record number of the text file starting with "CALL-151",
and begin EXECing at that record (EXEC filename,R24 or whatever).  Anyway,
the current posted vsn will work if there are no glitches when you download.