[comp.sys.apple] converting Mac fonts to GS

>Date:         Sun, 22 Jan 89 01:09:10 GMT
>From:         jetzer <marque!studsys!jetzer@CSD1.MILW.WISC.EDU>
>Subject:      Mac fonts -> GS fonts

>I thought that Mac fonts and IIGS-style fonts were the same thing,
>but I've found out the hard way that they are not.
>[...]
>So, what, specifically, are the differences between Mac and GS fonts?
>[...]

See the Toolbox Reference, Vol 2, pp. 16-41 and 16-42.  You'll need
to construct a header added onto the beginning of the Mac font, with
the following fields:

  OffsetToMF ($0006--offset in words from here to Mac part of font)
  family     (word)
  style      (word)
  size       (word)
  version    ($0101)
  fbrExtent  (word--maximum horizontal distance in pixels from
                    the character origin to the far edge of any
                    pixel of any character in the font)

The Mac part of the font is the same, _except_ that you need to swap
the high and low bytes of all the words except in the font strike
(the bitImage), which needs no swapping.

>Mike Jetzer

--David A. Lyons              bitnet: awcttypa@uiamvs
  DAL Systems                 CompuServe:  72177,3233
  P.O. Box 287                GEnie mail:    D.LYONS2
  North Liberty, IA 52317     AppleLinkPE: Dave Lyons