[comp.sys.apple] TCP/IP on the Apple //

jm7e+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU ("Jeremy G. Mereness") (01/20/89)

Is Anyone working on a version of TCP/IP for the Apple //?

If you are fortunate enough to live in a building wired for Appletalk and
Ethernet links, TCP/IP programs for the Mac blow modems away because you don't
need a modem (just and Appletalk) and it runs at 9600 baud. The GS has
Appletalk, and other //'s can get it. Why should Macs have all the fun?

Capt. Albatross
jm7e+@andrew.cmu.edu

============
Bureuacracy takes all the fun out of computing.
disclaimer: The opinions expressed herein are made under duress of academic
stress and is often prone to overzealous error. The author, not enjoying the
prospect of remaining eternally ignorant, therefore welcomes any replies that
would further that end.

kamath@reed.UUCP (Sean Kamath) (01/24/89)

In article <cXpnWFy00V45IRVUZj@andrew.cmu.edu> jm7e+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU ("Jeremy G. Mereness") writes:

>Is Anyone working on a version of TCP/IP for the Apple //?

Not that I know of.

>If you are fortunate enough to live in a building wired for Appletalk and
>Ethernet links, TCP/IP programs for the Mac blow modems away because you don't
>need a modem (just and Appletalk) and it runs at 9600 baud. The GS has
>Appletalk, and other //'s can get it. Why should Macs have all the fun?

Appletalk is more along the lines of 220Kbaud, though you might note that
the tty driver on you machine is running at 38400 baud (try an stty
everything from a BSD 4.3 machine).

As for why the Mac's have all the fun, consider this:  The last time I
heard, the AppleTalk card for //'s was over $250!  No way, sorry.  I thought
about making an AppleTalk to Serial converter once, but why bother?

However, one should note that Apple is eventually (probably) release tcp/ip
drivers for the mac, and make the CITI tcp/ip drivers halt (CITI says that
they will release beta versions, and go away when the Apple drivers come
out.).  I am working on a mac rtar.  We, what fun.

Now, if you want to supply me with a GS or a AppleTalk card, I'll give it a
show! :-)

>Capt. Albatross
>jm7e+@andrew.cmu.edu

Sean Kamath

--
UUCP:  {decvax allegra ucbcad ucbvax hplabs}!tektronix!reed!kamath
CSNET: reed!kamath@Tektronix.CSNET  ||  BITNET: kamath@reed.BITNET