[comp.sys.apple] graphics programming

DSEAH@WPI.BITNET (01/22/89)

Hello!  A friend of mine on GEnie heard of a GS program called "The Carousel
of Impossible Physics", which is supposed to be able to refresh a SHR screen
in only 1/30th of a second flicker-free!   I've poked around a bit on
AppleLink, but none seem to have heard of it.  We're trying to write a
good arcade game.

Thanks,
Dave Seah --- Worcester Polytechnic Institute
AppleLink PE: omnitreant
Internet:     dseah@wpi.wpi.edu
Bitnet:       dseah@wpi.bitnet

jb10320@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (01/23/89)

> * Written 12:57 am  Jan 22, 1989 by DSEAH@WPI.BITNET in uxa.cso.uiuc.edu:comp.sys.apple */
> /* ---------- "graphics programming" ---------- */
> Hello!  A friend of mine on GEnie heard of a GS program called "The Carousel
> of Impossible Physics", which is supposed to be able to refresh a SHR screen
> in only 1/30th of a second flicker-free!

Hey! When you get that let me know please... That could come in very
handy for the 3-D Animation package I'm translating (actually, it's SubLogic's
old A2-3D1/2 package , the one they used to make FlightSim).

jb10320@uxa  (jawaid bazyar)

c60c-3aw@e260-3f.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden) (01/25/89)

In article <113300029@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> jb10320@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
[stuff deleted]
>          the 3-D Animation package I'm translating (actually, it's SubLogic's
>old A2-3D1/2 package , the one they used to make FlightSim).

I looked at the 3-D routines in Nibble magazine (published about 3-4 years
ago), and was thinking about translating them into assembly on the GS (with
ample use of the toolbox routines).  When I look at some of the games available
today (Stellar 7, Arctic Fox, Elite), I know there must be a faster way of
doing it than I am considering (too many multiplications/divisions, plus a
couple of square roots).

I'd rather not get a book list (I can get one from comp.graphics, I'm sure),
but rather a fast algorithm for translating the three dimensional coordinates
into screen coords.  If anyone has used something like this (e.g., the
SubLogic package mentioned above), I'd like to know more about it.

--
c60c-3aw@widow.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden)