[comp.sys.apple] posting tech notes

ART100@PSUVM.BITNET ("Andy Tefft 862-6728", 814) (01/26/89)

I would like to mention to all the people who want the tech notes posted
that some of us get this discussion as mail (everything's forwarded
from comp.sys.apple over to info-apple) and if the size or number of
these tech notes is great some of our mailboxes could become overloaded
(mainly those of us on the Bitnet side on "vaxen" (I hate that word ;-))).
Best to send them to archive sites and post the locations, as planned,
so that those who want them can get them. The tech notes are different
from the straight discussion in that i usually discard the discussion
mail after i read it, but I wouldn't discard the tech notes... handling
large volumes of disposable mail (maybe I keep 1 in 20 articles for maybe
2 weeks, then print & delete it or just delete)  is easier than getting
a lot of stuff you want to keep all at once...

mjohnson@Apple.COM (Mark Johnson) (01/26/89)

In article <8901251315.aa00320@SMOKE.BRL.MIL> ART100@PSUVM.BITNET ("Andy Tefft  862-6728", 814) writes:
>I would like to mention to all the people who want the tech notes posted
>that some of us get this discussion as mail (everything's forwarded
>from comp.sys.apple over to info-apple) and if the size or number of
>these tech notes is great some of our mailboxes could become overloaded

This is exactly why I do not want to post the Notes.  As text files they occupy
over 2 MB of disk space and the sheer number would be enough to overwhelm a
few sites (especially if they have multiple subscribers).  I will be posting
future updates, but I will not post the complete set.  If you don't have FTP
access, then you should at least be able to get them from BROWNVM.  If you
cannot get them from BROWN or FTP, then send me mail and we'll see what can
be done.

I will be sending out tests to all the sites which requested the Notes after
this weekend.  We are currently undergoing a machine upgrade and I have no
guarantee of reliability until then.

Mark B. Johnson                                           AppleLink: m.johnson
Developer Technical Support                         domain: mjohnson@Apple.com
Apple Computer, Inc.         UUCP:  {amdahl,decwrl,sun,unisoft}!apple!mjohnson

"You gave your life to become the person you are right now.  Was it worth it?"
                                                         - Richard Bach, _One_

ART100@PSUVM.BITNET ("Andy Tefft 862-6728", 814) (01/26/89)

>From:     "Doug Ashbrook" <JDA@NIHCU>
>Date:     Thu, 26 Jan 89  09:34:59 EST

>>Best to send them to archive sites and post the locations, as planned,
>>so that those who want them can get them.

>If by an archive site you mean APPLE2-L, then this is fine with me.
>If, instead, you mean an FTP site, then I would prefer to see the
>Technical Notes posted to the Info-Apple news group.  Not all of us
>have FTP access at the present time (including me).

I certainly hope (hint, hint) that these are put in APPLE2-L,
some ftp sites, and also some uucp-accessible sites, to accomodate
all of us... (I think the original intent was to put them on
archive siteS (plur.). Actually if there were an appropriate newsgroup
to post them to, that would be great, but comp.sys.apple is
not a good place just because of the cross-mailing. Maybe
comp.doc.techreports or something?