_Brint

From: Morgan Davis <mdavis@pro-sol.cts.com>

It might as well be my new license plate... as of this afternoon I've become
an official Beagle Brother!

That's right, I'm now a full time employee of Beagle Bros Software, Inc., and
I'm very pleased with my new position and responsibilities.  I'll be working
with a super bunch of geniuses, and some nice guys as well.  Since I will be
spending a lot of time in Sorrento Valley (the San Diego equivalent of Silicon
Valley), this will probably have an effect on my role as chief ProLine
programmer and sysop.

But, I think the effect will be a good one.  Some of you know that I've been
spending the last few years as a (I hate to say it) consultant and contract
programmer.  (Surprise! ProLine and ModemWork sales do not keep food on the
table, nor pay two mortgages, nor four kinds of insurance, etc.).  This is an
odd sort of business to be in.  Either I'm rushing to fulfill some contract
obligation (which is a feast/famine deal), or I'm scrambling to line up new
contract work, or I'm trying to slide in under a deadline for a book or
magazine article, or I'm hopping from one information service to another to
support online endeavors (BIX moderating, AppleLink PE consulting/product
support, etc.), or I'm working on my own software projects.  Actually, I
shouldn't have used so many "or's" in there...I'm usually doing all that stuff
at the same time.

With this new career at Beagle Bros I'll be able to concentrate on one project
which is my sole source of income (a decent, steady, stable source of income).
No more scrambling, no more sliding, no more hopping.  Since my work will be
confined to the Beagle Bros Corporate HQ I can leave it behind when I come
home in the evening.  And it can stay there and relax over the weekends (ah,
weekends...such a foreign concept), while I relax at home with family,
friends, and favorite projects.  Which leads us to this.

I'm in the process of making preparations for better handling, sales, and
support of ProLine and ModemWorks.  As you know, the whole basis of Living
Legends Software is to allow a group of programmers to operate under a single
company name with their individual products.  As a cooperation, each member is
responsible for all facets of their software, from advertising to shipping to
technical support.  I've been extremely busy and haven't had the time that I
would have liked to devote to ProLine and ModemWorks.  I don't think this is
good for you people, future customers, or my products since I foresee a very
limited "sales lifespan" for them.  The time is NOW for really milking the
most out of them... and I'm working on a business plan to bring this to
fruition.  As they say, "stay tuned for details."

I thought I should fill you in on these latest events, both of which are
fantastically positive from my perspective.

Regards,

--Morgan Davis

UUCP: crash!pnet01!pro-sol!mdavis		ProLine:  mdavis@pro-sol
ARPA: crash!pnet01!pro-sol!mdavis@nosc.mil	MCI Mail: 137-6036
INET: mdavis@pro-sol.cts.com			APE, BIX: mdavis

----- End of forwarded messages

archer@hsi.UUCP (Garry Archer) (01/18/89)

In article <8901171701.aa03530@SMOKE.BRL.MIL>, wmapple@BRL.MIL (Info-Apple-Request) writes:
> I'm reposting the following to the net because so many of you know Morgan ...
> _Brint
> From: Morgan Davis <mdavis@pro-sol.cts.com>
> ... as of this afternoon I've become an official Beagle Brother!
> UUCP: crash!pnet01!pro-sol!mdavis		ProLine:  mdavis@pro-sol
> ARPA: crash!pnet01!pro-sol!mdavis@nosc.mil	MCI Mail: 137-6036
> INET: mdavis@pro-sol.cts.com			APE, BIX: mdavis

CONGRATULATIONS, Morgan.  Beagle Brothers!  Wow, impressive.

Since Morgan's news was forwarded, does this mean he can no longer be found
at the above addresses, and therefore we won't see any more postings here
on the net?

--

		Garry Archer Esq.	{noao, yale, uunet}!hsi.com!archer
		Health Systems International

unknown@UCSCB.UCSC.EDU (The Unknown User) (01/19/89)

I know you're a new Beagle Brother, but I'd like to ask you a few questions
to see if you happen to know the answers...

Is Beagle Brothers still going to be only writing AppleWorks add-ons? That's
what I read in A+ or somewhere else?

No offense to you or anyone else, but it seems like even Beagle Brothers
might be "turning more blue every year." I don't mean they are going IBM,
but they seem to not write as much stuff for the general hacker...Now actually
it doesn't seem like "not as much stuff," it seems like "NONE"!

The Unknown User [unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu]

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn ) (01/19/89)

In article <256@hsi86.hsi.UUCP> archer@hsi.UUCP (Garry Archer) writes:
>CONGRATULATIONS, Morgan.  Beagle Brothers!  Wow, impressive.

Well, that depends -- does this mean that Beagle Bros. will start
to produce IIGS-specific software now, or does it mean that Morgan
Davis will stop working on IIGS-specific software?

>Since Morgan's news was forwarded, does this mean he can no longer be found
>at the above addresses, and therefore we won't see any more postings here
>on the net?

Aside from Morgan's own answer:

>>Heavens no.  I'm still here, and whether some like it or not I'll stick around
>>for a while. :)

The last time I took note, Beagle Brothers has its OWN Pro-Line system -
'pro-beagle.cts.com'  Maybe he'll get more "Beagle Buddies" participating
in comp.sys.apple?

Murph Sewall                       Vaporware? ---> [Gary Larson returns 1/1/90]
Prof. of Marketing     Sewall@UConnVM.BITNET
Business School        sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu          [INTERNET]
U of Connecticut       {psuvax1 or mcvax }!UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL     [UUCP]

-+- I don't speak for my employer, though I frequently wish that I could

According to the American Facsimile Association, more than half the calls
from Japan to the U.S. are fax calls.  FAX it to me at: 1-203-486-5246

mdavis@pro-sol.cts.com (Morgan Davis) (01/25/89)

The Unknown User (unknown@ucsb.ucsc.edu) writes:
> Is Beagle Brothers still going to be only writing AppleWorks add-ons?
> That's what I read in A+ or somewhere else?

I cannot comment on projects that may or may not be in the works at Beagle
Bros Software, Inc.

> No offense to you or anyone else, but it seems like even Beagle Brothers
> might be "turning more blue" every year.  I don't mean they are going IBM,
> but they seem to not write as much stuff for the general hacker...it seems
> like "NONE"!

I really can't comment on this.  But here's a hint:  $.

Speaking only for myself, I would have to guess that the TimeOut series has
been far more successful for Beagle Bros than all of the previous Beagle
titles combined.  So it is good business sense to channel more resources into
that area than into cute little utilities for Applesoft (the stuff I grew up
with and loved!).  Again, I am not speaking on behalf of Beagle Bros -- these
are my own, unfounded comments.

--Morgan

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn ) (01/27/89)

In article <8901251736.AA00460@crash.cts.com> pnet01!pro-sol!mdavis@nosc.mil writes:
>I really can't comment on this.  But here's a hint:  $.
>Speaking only for myself, I would have to guess that the TimeOut series has
>been far more successful for Beagle Bros than all of the previous Beagle
>titles combined.  So it is good business sense to channel more resources into
>that area than into cute little utilities for Applesoft (the stuff I grew up
>with and loved!).

Certainly that is the typical reasoning behind such corporate directions.
However, one would certainly hope that there is a market niche for products
with smaller, more sophisticated clientele.  If everybody runs after the
same market to the total neglect of the people who are real innovators,
everything turns to crap in the long run.  Lord knows we have plenty already.